Tuesday, July 12, 2011

HALVERSON JONATHAN DUKE HISTORY

HISTORY of
JONATHAN OLDHAM DUKE

WRITTEN WITH MY OWN HAND

The following is a brief account of the birth and parentage of Jonathan O. Duke, son of James and Mary Duke, with some remarks relative to my coming into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and also a continued history of journal of my missions and pilgrimage with the saints of the most High God, written with my own hand.

I, Jonathan O. Duke, son of James Duke who was the son of John Duke, was born in Derby, England on the 31st day of August, 1807.  My mother, Mary, was the daughter of Jonathan Oldham.  I was bound an apprentice to learn the mason business and remained in my father's house until the 22nd year of my age when I married Mary, daughter of Robert Stone, in Derby on the 30th of December, l828, and remained in Derby until June 6, 1829 when myself and my wife took leave of our weeping friends, bent our course for the United States of America.  We embarked at Liverpool on the 24th of June, l829, on board the Eliza Grant and on the 30th of August arrived in New York after a very pleasant passage of 35 days.  We stopped a Brooklyn at my wife's father's a few days and then went to Albany where I got employment at my business and remained there for about 2 years and then removed to Jefferson County, New York state and bought a piece of land but not liking the country, we returned to Albany where I continued to work at my trade for ten years.

 In the spring of l839, my wife went to Brooklyn to visit her father who had a little time previous became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and had been ordained an elder.  Here she was taught and instructed in the principle of the doctrine of Jesus Christ and during her visit there she was baptized and confirmed a member of the same Church.  On the night she was baptized the Lord showed me the same in a dream.  It perhaps would be proper here to remember that myself and wife had been members of the primitive Methodist Society or Church of England and I been [in] that order a preacher but the intelligence or truth I sought was not to be found there and I sighed for the order and doctrines that were taught by the Ancient Apostles of Jesus Christ.  Ah, little did I think the God of Israel [had] already commenced to restore the same order of the Kingdom, although I had been in America ten years, I had not yet heard this gospel until a few weeks after my wife's baptism.  Her father, Elder Robert Stone and Elder Theodore Curtis came to Albany and preached three nights in succession in my house.  On the last night after the meeting, June 10, I and my sister Anne were baptized by Elder Stone.  On July 4, 1839, my sister, Jane, and several others were baptized.  Our members increased and on July 29th, 1839, we were organized into a branch of the church by Elders Joseph Ball and Charles W. Wendell.  I was by then ordained an Elder and appointed to preside over that branch which I continued to do for nearly a year.   At this time I performed a short mission to Massachusetts in the company with Elder James Burnam.  During my stay in Massachusetts, I became personally acquainted with President Brigham Young and Elder George A. Smith who were on their way to England.



I baptized several in Albany and on April 30th, 1840, I, with my wife and four children and my two sisters, Anne and Jane Duke, proceeded on the Erie Canal to Buffalo, where we took passage on board the steamship" New England."  We landed in Chicago about the middle of May.  Here I worked at my trade for two months,  I then hired a team to take us to Nauvoo which was then called Commerce.  I obtained a lot and house where I have had plenty of work at my trade.  Here I joined the Elders Quorum.  I remained a member of that body for four years..  (Here a mission)  At the October Conference, I joined the Seventies and as attached to the seventh Quorum on the day of its organization which was, I believe, the eighth of the month.  Previous to this time, I had been appointed to go on a mission to the state of Delaware at the time Joseph Smith was in the nomination for the President of the United States.  I had already arrived  in the state of Delaware and commenced my labors when brothers Heber C. Kimball and Lyman Wits passed through Wilmington on their way to a great convention which had been appointed at Baltimore at which city Brother Kimball obtained [sic] certain intelligence from Nauvoo of the murder of Joseph and Hyrum Smith.  Brother Kimball immediately returned to Nauvoo.  So I turned my face homeward and arrived a Nauvoo on the 5th of August, (The Twelve arrived on the 8th), 1844.  I had been absent only 2 months.

The mob of Hancock County, not satisfied with murdering our beloved Prophet and Patriarch, began to stretch forth with their hands to take the lives of some of the Twelve Apostles.  But in this they failed.  Notwithstanding all the poverty of the Saints and the manner in which we were harassed, the work on the Temple was rushed forward with might power so that early in the winter of 1845, the Twelve began to give endowments in the upper story which was assigned to that purpose.  On the 22nd day of January, 1845, my wife and I received our endowments in the house of the Lord.

     I must now record a circumstance of a different nature which is the death of my eldest sister, Anne, who departed this life on the second day of January, l845, in the 27th year of her life after a long a tedious illness leaving her eldest son, peace to her memory.

About this time, the grand plan of the Church moving to the west which had previously been concocted by Joseph Smith was made known to the church by the Twelve Apostles.  Companies were immediately formed as Emigrating Companies, also for the purpose of making wagons and for a union of effect to prepare for the great move.  I volunteered to go with the first company to guard the Twelve Apostles in particular, fearing that the mob might intercept the march when they got into the wilderness and cut them off.  I belonged to Captain John Fidd's command and served 3 months and then received an honorable discharge and returned to Nauvoo to my family and now I had everything to prepare for the journey.

I will now mention that previous to my going with the first company, I had paid all my tithing and received from the Temple Committee a certificate entitling me and my family to all the privileges of the baptismal font and was also appointed one of the new police officers for the city of Nauvoo.  I also was a member of the second company of Lancers under Captain L.V. Tibbetts and served in the capacity of fifth sergeant and second Lieutenant to which office I was elected on the 22nd day of April, 1843.  On the 23rd of September, 1844, I was unanimously elected Captain of the Company which was the last time the Legion paraded in Nauvoo.  Most of the Saints had left Nauvoo and none but the poorer class and the sick remained who could not get away.  I went to St. Louis to get employment for the purpose of getting means to enable me to move to the west.  I could not succeed so returned to make an outfit.  I had bought the woodwork of the wagon and iron and had partly paid for the blacksmith work.  I was taken sick with the ague from which I did not recover for one year.  After I was sick for a month, my wife was taken with the chill and confined to her bed for two months.

We were in this helpless and destitute condition when an armed mob of 1500 men came against the Saints who still remained in Nauvoo, with their great preparations for war, such as swords, musketry, and several pieces of artillery.  Against these great preparations of the mob our brethren took an old shag of a steam boat and by cutting it into several pieces and mounting them on wheels, substituted them for cannons which made great havoc among the mob, killing men.  It killed upwards of a hundred of them while but one of our brethren was killed.

This was the state of things, the city besieged by this armed force which my wife and I were confined to our beds by sickness from which we could not rise without help.  But the God of Israel protected the Saints thru this season of trial.  Our faith was strong in the God of fathers for as we lay in our beds and counted the firing of the cannon, it created no fear in our breasts, but a confidence in God.



     These mob operations were connived at by the authorities of the state of Illinois.  While thins were in this perplexing situation, a committee of 50 men from Quincy were sent to Nauvoo to stop these operations and make a treaty of peace and to stop further molestations.  The men in this mob treaty for the committee were no better than the mob. It was stipulated that the saints who were able should have ten days to move out of the city and the sick and the destitute of means should not be molested and the mob put in possession of the city and Temple  But all these stipulations were broken by these cursed mobocrats for many of those that has teams and wagons, their lives were sought and many of them were literally driven out of the city at the point of bayonets and the sick were visited at their homes and threatened to be turned out of doors.

Some of these inhuman wretches came to my house one evening while I was having a severe shake of the ague and swore that if we did not leave the city that night, they would turn us out of doors  Upon my wife's and eldest son remonstrating with them upon the inconsistency of such a course and that my life would be in danger if I was turned out of doors, they replied, "Damn him, it is good enough for a Mormon!"  But the Lord inspired the heart of Sister Jones, wife of William Jones, who with her son William brought a team to the Mississippi River and moved us to Bonaparte where we stayed a few days and then moved to Bentonsport where we went into a house with Warren Snow where we remained a few  days.  In consequence of the owner of the house, Mr. Reed, who was a great enemy of the church, refusing to let us stay in the house, we pitched our tent on the banks of the river at the end of the old potter's kiln where we lived thru the winter of 1847 and following spring and summer.  When I had just begun to get my health a little so that I had commence to work, Dr. Hyrum D. Buys from Mount Pisga came down with his teams to take my family to Pisga.  They started August 29, 1849.  I concluded to tarry and work if possible to get a team and means to move to the west.  I got an abundance of work in Bentonsport and this fall bought a good little wagon for $40.00.  This winter my health was poor in consequence of taking a severe cold which settled in my lungs producing great difficulty in breathing..

Continuing to work very late in the fall, it rendered it impractical to cross the plains in my feeble state of health so I tarried in Bentonsport all winter.

 In the spring of '49, I began to work very early and got me two yoke of three year steers which made me an excellent team with one yoke of cows which brought us to the valley in the latter part of September.

My son, James, came down from Pisga to work the winter in the potter's shop with James Johnson of Bonaparte.  In the spring of '48, I fitted out my family with provisions and clothing and sent James with Brother Keyes.  I still had to remain in Bentonsport my business being in a very unfinished condition.  In the latter part of July, my sons, James and John came down with my teams and we started for home.  We arrived safely in Pisga.  Here I had the opportunity of meeting with many of my old Nauvoo friends, and of forming an intimate acquaintance with Edwin Whiting, President of the branch, an excellent man to whom I was greatly attached.  Here I felt myself at home amongst the Saints and was made Bishop's counselor, but my continuance among them was of short duration, about three weeks.  Then I started to Fort Des Moines for the purpose of getting work.  Not succeeding to my mind, I returned to Pisga, being absent 11 days.

I remained at home several weeks.  In the beginning of October, I started in company of Brothers Whiting and Stoker  to Bentonsport where I immediately got work on a large tavern for Mr. Warner.  I continued to work till late November, being anxious to finish my job.  But winter set in very sudden and severe and the snow falling very deep.  I was obliged to stay all winter which was a lonesome and tedious winter to me.



In the spring of '49, my son, James, came down with the team for me.  We took up a load a provisions with the expectation of going on to the valley of the Great Salt Lake with Brother Whiting, but when news came from the valley, I concluded not to go this season.  My team not being sufficient to carry the required amount of provisions.  In a few weeks, I returned to Bentonsport where I took a steam engine chimney to build 60 feet high.  I did considerable plastering and work.  In the fall, when my son James brought the team, we once more started for home, supposing we had an outfit for the valley, but found it necessary to make another raise.

In the spring of '50, I started with James to Fort Des Moines, but we could not get employment, so Brother John Crandell purchased a canoe and we went down the river for Bentonsport where I immediately got employment.  James worked with me till the beginning of May when he returned home with Steven Perry who had come down with a load of chairs, he taking my provisions to Pisga.  My family had been gone three days so I waited for Brother Dillie.  I returned his horse then travelled one day with Brother Simonds and then started on foot and walked 60 miles.  I overtook them that night at 12 o'clock, tired out.

We travelled with Brothers Maler and Adams and Brother Richard Smith to the Bluffs, where we stayed about a week.  We moved down to the lower ferry with Brother Smith and joined Brother Steven Perry.  10 in David Bennett's, 50 with James Daws 100.  Crossed the Missouri and started on the 13th of June and travelled 12 miles.  Camped at a point of timber this night.  Brother Warner taken sick with the cholera.

14th--Captain Bennett though it expedient for the Company to move on, leaving our ten to take care of Brother Warner who died the same day.  After interring him as decently as circumstances would permit, this evening we held a prayer meeting in which while I was speaking, the Spirit of the Lord came upon me and I rebuked the destroyer and prophesied that inasmuch as our company for ten would be faithful, the destroyer would have no more power over us.

15th--Moved forward to overtake the company who had forsaken us in so cowardly a manner when the destroyer had first made his attack upon us.  We had travelled more that 12 miles before we met David Bennett, the Captain of our 50 who informed us that our beloved Sister Dana, wife of Charles R. Dana, had fallen a prey to the destroying plague and that several more were at the point of death.  At this intelligence, consternation or the solemnities of death were depicted upon many countenances and many hearts were uplifted to God in prayer that He would spare his people from the power of the destroyer.  We camped early this afternoon near Bennett's company and several of us were called to assist in interring Sister Dillie, the wife of David Buel Dillie, a woman of meek and quiet spirit whose loss is greatly deplored by her relatives and friends.  At this place which we called Cholera Creek, five of our brethren and sisters were buried, but blessed be to God, the power of the destroyer is in great measure stayed.

17th--Camp moved on 6 miles and stayed to bury Brother Keyes on the road at our noon halt.  He had died on the road.  Travelled 8 miles further and camped at a point of timber.  This night the Indians stole 2 horses which belonged to Henry Kinsley.

18th--Travelled 16 miles.

19th--Travelled 4 miles and stayed to wash.

20th--Travelled 18 miles and camped at wood and water.

21st--This evening married D.B. Dillie and Sister Doffermire.


22nd--Travelled 18 miles.

23rd--Travelled 15 miles.  Camped at Clear Creek.

      24th--Came up with Brother Pace's Company and camped on the bank of the Platte River.

25th--Washed here.  Sister Malery died.  Also child Lees.

26th--Moved for this night.  Brother Kernes and a boy of Brother Keyes died, making 11 persons.  For several days, we have passed 3 or 4 graves a day of our brethren and sisters.  Amongst them was our beloved T. Kirk of Pisga.

27th--We, this day, passed a large Indian village and camped on the South bank of the Platte.

28th--Drove on 14 miles.  Camped on the river bottom.

29th--6 miles.  Camped on river bottom.

30th--3 miles.  Had a meeting.  I was called on to speak.

July 1st--Passed a bad slue.  Camped on the prairie.

2nd--16 miles and water.

3rd--6 miles, camped opposite Fort Dearney.

4th--15 miles.  Got wood by crossing slue on river.

5th--15 miles.  Camped on the river.

6th--11 miles.  Camped on branch of river opposite timber.

7th--Sunday, had meeting.  The 3rd General Epistle of the First Presidency was read and the minutes of the Conference were read.  A good spirit prevailed in the camp.

8th--12 miles.  This morning was the first time we saw buffalo.  Several of the men started in pursuit.  They wounded but did not get it.

               9th--20 miles.  Camped 1 1/2 miles from river.

10th--15 miles.  Camped on the river bottoms near a slue.  Plenty of dry willows.  Camped in sight of a herd of buffalo.  This night Sister Agnes Norde died of the bloody sickness.

      July 11th--10 miles.  Camped four miles from the river by a beautiful creek and spring water.

12th--14 miles.  Camped on the same creek near a good spring.  This night Sister Jane Russell died of Diarrhea.



13th--12 miles.  Camped on the river bottoms 1 1/2 miles from the river.  Today Brother Dillie shot a buffalo and carried home 50 pounds of meat.  Ephraim Smith and George Grindell each shot one.

14th--Sunday.  James Smith, Chas. Dana, Sylvanus Hulett killed one and brought 50 pounds to camp  whereupon Captain gave orders that none should go a hunting without orders and not to kill anything without the probability of getting to same camp.

15th--15 miles.  Camped at the middle fork of the Platte.  Here Ephraim Smith and George Grenell killed a deer.

16th--15 miles.

17th--Crossed the river and went 4 miles.  Camped opposite the old Fort.

18th--18 miles.  Camped at the mouth of Ash Hollow.  Late this night Brother Orson Hyde came to camp on his way to the valley.

19th--Moved one mile to the river for the purpose of washing and setting tire.

20th--3 tons moved 5 miles.  Brother Dillie's and Murdock's tens staying to finish setting tires.

21st--Sunday.  When they came up, we were called together to hold a meeting.  Brother Bennett called upon me to preach, which I did.  Here a vote was taken to establish Brother Dana in his office as journalist of the company.

22nd--Travelled 12 miles over sandy road.  Camped by the river.

23rd--16 miles.  Camped by the river, good feed.

24th--16 miles.  Camped opposite Chimney Rock.  Had a prayer meeting this evening.

26th--Visited Chimney Rock and travelled 7 miles.  Camped on the river.

July 27th--Rainy, remained in camp.

28th--l6 miles.  Camped between Scott's Bluff.  Night cold.

29th--14 miles.  This day had a severe hail storm.  Camped on the river bottom.  Took the right hand road to good feed.

30th--15 miles.  Camped 1 mile from a trading post.

31st--14 miles.  Camped 3 miles from an Indian Village.
(Fort Laramie)

August 1st--Crossed Loring Creek.  Visited the Fort.  Took the right hand road.  Camped 4 miles from Laramie.



2nd--Left the river, crossed a mountainous country, travelled and camped on a small creek of good water called
Cotton Wood Creek.

3rd--10 miles.  Left the road and camped on the river, feed good.

4th & 5th--Repaired wagons.

6th--Crossed Horse Shoe Creek and camped opposite Red Rock.  13 miles.

7th--8 miles.  Camped on the bottom near the river, feed good.

8th--Our ten tarried behind the company setting tires until 10 a.m. then went 5 miles.  Killed 2 buffalo.

9th--15 miles.  Camped on the Labontee.

10th--The company started on leaving us again, one of our steers being missing.  Followed on about noon.  Camped 1 mile from the road to the right at Basin Spring.  Feed and wood.

11th--Started on.  Came up with three of the Murdock ten and camped with them.

12th--Monday morning.  Started out very early, overtook Bennett's company before they started out and was greatly hurt in my feelings at hearing that Bennett had proposed to take all the strong teams and move forward, leaving the weak teams to come along as well as they could.  We all travelled on to Deer Creek, where we all remained for two days.

    
 August 15th--The company moved forward 10 miles.  Camped at Muddy Creek.

16th--8 miles.  Camped on the river bottoms.

17th--14 miles.  Crossed the upper ford and camped.

18th--Sunday.  Cold and rainy.  Took the left hand road or new route and camped on the Platte River bottom.  This was the last camping place on the Platte.

l9th--Very wet and cold.  Remained in camp.

20th--Traveled on to within 2 miles of Willow Springs.

21st--7 miles.  Camped on a small creek to the left of the road.
 
22nd--James and myself went to the Salerates Lakes and got a good supply of salerates and camped on the Sweet Water.

23rd--Some brethren went to hunt buffalo.  James was among them but when they returned to camp this evening he was very sick of the mountain fever.  He was sick nigh unto death.


24th--Camped this night at Devil's Gate.

25th--Sunday.  Remained in camp.

26th--Camped on Sweet Water and crossed it twice.

27th--Moved forward and camped on Sweet Water at ford #3.  Here James was so ill that we tarried behind on the 28th to give him a lobelia ameta.  Brother Richard Smith and family tarrying with us.  We moved on in the evening 3 miles and camped with Brother Riddle.

      29th--Traveled 7 miles and overtook the camp who were waiting for Brothers Bennett, James and Rufus Smith who had gone out the day before and had not returned.

30th--18 miles.  Camped on Sweet Water.

31st--James continued very sick so we traveled in the rear of the company.  Camped on Sweet Water.

September 1st--Traveled over the mountain and camped on the Sweet Water.

2nd--Traveled behind the Company.  Brother Smith accompanying us all the time.  Stopped for the night where the camp made noon halt.  Brothers Steven and Elisha Malery staying with us.

3rd--Passed Twin mountains l mile and took the right hand road to find a camping place and found the camp on Sweet Water so  stayed with them.

4th--Nooned at Pacific Springs and took the left hand road which was the new route and camped on a small ____ to the left of the road.  Feed Good.

5th--Traveled 22 miles and camped on Big Sandy.

6th--Crossed the creek near our camping place and struck the old road in 2 miles.  Drove l0 miles and camped on Big Sandy.  Feed poor and sage for fuel.

7th--18 miles.  Camped on Green River l mile above the ford.  Here was James Pace's 50.

8th--Had meeting.  Brother Pace called on me to open the meeting and speak to the people.

9th--20 miles.  Camped on Black Fork.

10th--Moved 15 miles up the creek.

11th--15 miles.  Camped on Black Fork.

12th--15 miles.  Camped opposite Fort Bridger.

13th--Took the new route or right hand road and camped on a creek in a valley after coming down a steep incline.


14th--5 teams had the privilege of going ahead of the train because our teams were weak.  Camped on Sulphur Creek.

15th--Came up with the company on Bear River but with the consent of the Captain passed on and camped on Yellow Creek.

16th--10 miles.  Camped in Echo Canyon where we were overtaken by the train.

17th--Traveled with the train and camped on the fork of the Weber River.

18th--Moved 6 miles.  Camped on the Weber where Pace's company were.  Had a dance.

19th--Camped this night on Canyon Creek.

20th--Traveled 10 miles and camped.

21st--Lost many of our cattle and did not start until late.  Got upon the mountain at sunset and had for the first time a view of the Great Salt Lake.  We descended the mountain that night. It was quite dark before we got down so we camped 13 miles from Salt Lake City.

22nd--We got into the valley early in the afternoon and camped on the bench.  If it had not been misty we should have had a good view of the valley.

SALT LAKE CITY

I now feel to give thanks and praise to the God of Israel for his goodness unto me and my family in bringing us to this place to be associated with the best men of the earth.  Also that my son James is recovering his health and that according to my faith my cattle have been preserved.

     We camped at Brother Jacob Hoffine's about 10 days.  Then I got a lot in the tenth ward and was about to build there until John Stoker came and wanted to buy a yoke of my oxen and trade me a half lot which he had in the twelfth ward.  I bought it of him and immediately changed my purpose and commenced to build in the twelfth ward a small house, designing it to work on the public works.   I did this for some time.

     In the spring of 1851, I sold my house and on the 7th of March, moved with my family to Provo City.  Here I met many of my old friends, had several opportunities to preach, helped my boys fence 10 acres of land and  about the middle of May, went back to the city to work on the public works.  I enjoyed many precious opportunities of hearing Presidents Young and Kimball preach.  My wife also came to the city and stayed until I returned which was in August.

On the 22nd Day of August, I married my daughter Sara Jane to James Smith, son of Richard and Dieana Smith.

I should have mentioned that when Provo City was organized, I was nominated one of the city council.  The election [was] in April 1851.  I was elected to the office of City Counselor.



     After my return from Salt Lake I commenced working at my trade in Provo and the city is fast improving.  Jan. 22, 1852, I commenced the tithing storehouse, having been appointed superintendent to the building by the Bishop, Elias H. Blackburn.

Brothers William Wall, James Bird, and myself were unanimously voted in for Bishops of Provo at a Special Conference which was held here July 17 and 18, 1852.  On the first day of August, I was ordained to the office of Bishop of the first ward of Provo by George A. Smith, one of the Twelve Apostles, who had been appointed to preside at the conference.

I should have mentioned that on the 10th of Oct., 1851, I married my son  James and Almira Moore.  Also on July 22nd, I married  Stewart and Elizabeth Coones.

I went to Spanish Fork in the company with H. Roberts to preach, being sent by the order of Pres. George A. Smith.
The Lord poured out his spirit upon me and I had a good time, blessed by his Holy Name.  The Bishops have to administer the sacrament here almost every Sabbath in the afternoon.

August 29.  This afternoon I bore a testimony to the truth of this work and testified of the judgement of God which were ready to be poured upon this generation.  Several emigrants were present.  I have experienced so much of the Spirit of God, [as] scarcely ever before.

August 30,31--My mind is much perplexed about my business having so much more work on hand than I can possibly do this season.  I hope there will be mechanics come in the fall.

September 8th--This day Brother R. Ralphs came to Provo.  I requested him to stay and work and I would take him as a partner. 

10th--He accepted my offer but commence to work by the day for me until the jobs were finished which I have on hand and then begin in a new job.

12th--We have this day attended to the Ordinances of baptism which we have done for several Sabbaths past, being counseled by our President to be all re-baptized as the record of our baptisms have not been properly recorded by the clerk of this Stake of Zion.  So we see that great importance of doing things right in the Church.  May God enable me to magnify my calling in his acceptance, Amen.

13th--Today sat on the grand jury, the first jury I have ever sat on and the first Grand jury that was ever held in Provo.     In the evening, James returned from Salt Lake City from a visit to Mother Stone and family who is now left destitute in consequence of the death of Father Stone but I will provide her with a home if she will accept of it.  The Saints are teeming into the valley by the hundreds.

14th--Sat on the grand jury.  In the interim of business, Brother Steven Markham entered into conversation about the Prophet Joseph Smith.  Said he was with him when he was in jail in Missouri and that he sent him to the brethren of Far West to tell the brethren that the Lord had showed him a plan by which he should escape.  Showing Brother Markham that which he said was fulfilled to the very letter.



Furthermore said,  "I was with him when he was in Carthage Jail for not all the threats or menaces of the mob could deter him from visiting him."  He asked Joseph what he thought of the matter, whether he would be delivered from the mob or not.  Joseph replied, "While I was the leader of this people, the Lord blessed me with the whisperings of His Spirit, which was for me to take this people out into the wilderness being closely pursued by the mob.  I crossed the river with my brother, Hyrum, designing to have the Saints follow us but some of the brethren followed us and said, `Are you going to leave us?  You always said you would not leave us, but now the wolf is coming on us, you leave us.'"

Believing this to be the minds of the body of the Saints, he returned to Nauvoo, but this was not the wishes of the body of the Saints.  Only a few cowards, so he said, "I gave up my agency and suffered myself to be led by those whom I should have led and now," said he, "I know no more than any other man."

15th--Commenced Charles Packets house.

31st--Worked on the meeting house.

October 1st--Went to Conference held in Provo which however was postpones in consequence of the rain.  This evening met in Council with the Bishops.  Bishop Felt presiding, who imparted much instruction relative to the duties of a Bishop.

Saturday, I attended Conference which was addressed by Elder Taylor and George Smith.  The Spirit of the Lord rested upon the assembly.

I went to Conference in the Meeting House but the Congregation was so very large, President Smith proposed an intermission of 30 minutes, when we reassembled and were addressed by Elder Taylor and George A. Smith.

5th--Started early this morning in company with Steven Perry for Salt Lake City to attend General Conference.

15th--Started home on foot.

17th--Attended meeting and assisted to administer sacrament.

18th--Commenced G.A. Smith's house.

19th--Had two trials at my house, being the first cases I have had to try since I have been a

July 16th, 1855--It is now a long time since I have written anything in my journal which is nearly owing to the negligence and partly in consequence of many business engagements.  We have held for the last days a meeting in the Provo Bowery, the First Presidency and several of the Twelve and Joseph Young in attendance.  It has been a glorious meeting.  Oh, that the Saints in Provo would practice the rich council we have received!

I was training in the Company of the Silver Grays of which Company I have been elected 2nd Lieutenant and was elected 3rd Lieutenant at the first organization and have received a commission from the Government and also a commission for the office of Justice of the Peace.

17th--Commenced to harvest my wheat which is good, notwithstanding the great destruction of grasshoppers.  Am studying the Ute Language.



Jonathan Oldham Duke had three wives.  To the first wife, Mary Stone, the following children were born:  James, Sarah Jane, John, Robert Stone, Mary Ann, and Jonathan Moroni.

On September 19, 1855, he married Sarah Thompson and the following children were born:  Charlotte, George Jonathan, Sarah Anne, Thomas William, Elizabeth, Almira, Mary and Heber.

December 3, 1855, he married Martha Thompson and the following children were born:  Mary Anne, Charles Thompson, Jane, Joseph, Hyrum, Alma, and Emma.

In 1857, Jonathan Oldham Duke served as a Major in the army that went to Echo Canyon and retard the progress of Johnston's Army into Utah.   His life came to a close in Provo, December 29, 1868.

Copied from Jonathan Oldham Duke's Diary by Ruby Duke Stringham

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete