Sunday, July 10, 2011



with help from the family

Harvey with Marcell Chea at
231 Telegraph
Harvey Halverson was born 7 March, 1899 in Palmyra, Utah County, Utah.  Palmyra is a small is a small settlement west of Spanish Fork, Utah.  Harvey was the fifth child born to Lars Andrew and Ane Marie (Mary) Peterson (Boel). 

Lars Andrew Halverson was a Danish immigrant.  He came to America in September of 1884 with his brother, Thomas.  They worked hard to send money back to the rest of the family in Denmark so that they could join them in America.  Eventually their family was able, to come over and they settled in Palmyra.

Andrew met Mary when she and her family were visiting friends in Palmyra.  They courted for about two years and were married on 17 July 1889 in the Manti LDS temple.  The journey took two days by horse-drawn wagon.  The families traveled together and camped along the way.  The newly weds began their married life in Mapleton, Utah.

Andrew was a dedicated farmer.  Harvey recalls that his father loved to grow sugar beets and was always searching for a productive farm.  The Halverson family moved from place to place frequently during the early years.

When Harvey was about 4 years old, Andrew and Mary decided to move to Southeastern Idaho to try farming there.  Andrew's sister, Karen Marie, and her husband had found a farm in Ucon, Idaho; they felt it would be perfect for Andrew's family.

Halverson family; James, Ray, Myrtle, Chris, Harvey
Eliza. Andrew, Mary, Mary, Joe, Merrill
Andrew and the four oldest children, James Andrew, Myrtle Christena, Christian Peter, and Raymond loaded what belongings they could into a wagon and they left first. It took them 2 or 3 weeks to get there. Mary, Harvey, Eliza and the baby, Joseph Lund, rode up on the train.  Harvey remembered, "We could look out the train window and see the Bear River far below while going through the Bear River Gorge near Logan".  He said it seemed to him as though they were hundreds of feet above the river, although it was probably only 15 or 20 feet.

 The family lived in Ucon for some months while Andrew continued to look for a farm.  They stayed in a two-room log house with a tent outside where the children slept.

Harvey remembers going with his father and brothers to haul drinking water from a large ditch or canal.  They would take barrels down and fill them with buckets of water.  In the winter, they would chop a hole in the ice and hope the water wouldn't freeze before they could use it.

When Harvey was 6 years old, he began going to school.  He attended the Ruby School in Ruby, Idaho.  Harvey recollects walking down a long road and crossing a large steel bridge to get there. 

Grandma's house in Mapleton, Jensen, Ray, Mary and Mary 
The school building was a one-story building with a door in the middle; the door opened into a hallway where the teacher's desk was located.  There were two classrooms on each side of the teacher's desk, so the teacher could watch each class.  There four grades on each side.

The teachers name was "Old Man Steele" and Harvey said he was scared to death of him.  He had a big stack of willows on his desk and he used them whenever anyone got out of line.  Harvey said he was never able to please his teacher since Harvey was a year behind where he should have been.

The family continued to move from place to place in search of a farm to buy.  Harvey recalled that his father decided against buying the farm that Marie had found because he was afraid to go into debt.  They lived in LaBelle and Sugar City before deciding to come back to Utah.  Harvey went to school for 2 years in LaBelle, but did not attend in Sugar City because it was too far to walk.

Andrew Halverson

The family settled in Lake Shore, Utah County, Utah.  Shortly after they arrived, Harvey's youngest sister, Mary Hannah was born on February 10, 1910.  Another brother, Merrill Franklin  was born in Sugar City, Idaho on 19 January, 1907.

Mary Peterson Halverson
Harvey attended school at the Lake Shore School.  It was a one-story school with four rooms.  It was nearly two miles to walk to school.  When the road wasn't too muddy, and a horse was able to pull a buggy, he would ride to school.

The family finally moved back to Mapleton, renting and farming until they settled down on the farm Grandpa Boel owned, eventually buying it from him for $ 1000.00.

Harvey attended Mapleton School, a large two-story building with four rooms on each floor.  Harvey completed the eighth grade and then left school to help his father with the farm.

By that time, his older brothers left home to work in the Magna Mill at Magna, Utah in Salt Lake County . Myrtle had married while they were living in Lake Shore.  It was up to Harvey now to help his father farm. 

Harvey recalls that on one rented farm, there were 20 total acres.  There were 10 acres on one side where there were so many rocks that the land could not be irrigated properly; the sugar beets never grew there.  The other 10 acres leveled properly and the water would raise and flood the beets.

Harvey told us about another field his father had tried to plant.  It was an old field where the previous farmer had tried unsuccessfully to grow grain.  Andrew planted his sugar beets and the only beets that grew were the size of a baseball.  They didn't even make enough money to pay for the seed. 

In 1918, there was a terrible flu epidemic which swept the state.  All the Halverson children became ill; Eliza was near death with the flu.  Harvey's older brother, Raymond, became seriously ill with Diphtheria.  Harvey recall sitting up until about midnight.  About midnight, his father came in and sent Harvey to bed and Andrew remained with Raymond until he passed away early in the morning, 6 March, 1918.  Since Harvey had only a mild case of the flu,  and since the mortician was short of help due to the many deaths in the area, Harvey had to help embalm Raymond's body.  Ray was buried on 7 March, 1918, Harvey's 19th. birthday.

Ray, Grandma, Merrill, Andrew,
Eliza, Joe, Harvey
When Harvey was 20 years old, he became sufficiently disenchanted with the farming life to want to seek work elsewhere.  He set off for Eureka, Juab County, Utah to find work in the silver mines in the Summer of 1919.

Harvey arrived at the Mammoth mine with enthusiasm but no mining experience.  He approached the mine foreman but was promptly turned down.  Luckily for Harvey, though, the mine Mine Superintendent happened to come by.  Harvey asked him for a job and he was hired to move large rocks off the road that led to the mine.  It was not a glamorous job and it was very hard work, but after 3 or 4 days, he had proved himself enough to earn a job inside the mine.  He spent about a week emptying the mine chutes of ore and debris.

One afternoon, Harvey was told that his new job would be driving a mule in the mine.  " They called it a Mule Skinner ," Harvey explained. 

"They had mules in the mine to pull the cars, see, and  they'd hook the mules on a half a dozen cars or even ten.  So that's how I stayed there until they shut the mine down (when silver prices dropped)."  That was quite an experience. I was night shift. They had an old mule there about 15 years old, tame and gentile you know.  They told me to go in there and take this old mule. and there was a chute there .  I had to pull the waste and ore out.

 Ragtown, Magna, Andrew, Crump, Chris, Ray
"I went and got this old mule and put a rope around her neck and led her out. All there was on the cars was an old harness and tugs going back to the cars.  I didn't have a bit of trouble, then I led her in the mine.

I didn't know how they did it; I seen that one guy over on 9 , his mule was kind of wild.  I went back there and tied her up to the Pipe, airline, you know.  Then I pushed the cars back down and loaded them, then pushed them back and all ready to go and here comes the shift supervisor.

He said, "What are you doing here?

I said, "They sent me down to load these cars'

He said, "You should have had two or three trains down to the station now.  No cars, no loads out there; I just came to see what was the matter.'

"When he seen what I was doin' he sure laughed.  He said, "Now I want to show you how to do this.  Get that rope off the mule.'

"So I went over there and she just stood there, you know just looking at me.  And we run these other cars down a ways and pretty soon we were down to where we didn't have anymore slack or anymore cars.  So he put a sprag (stick) in the wheel, in the spokes, so that it wouldn't run , see; be sort of a brake.  Then he hooked those other cars together.  He got up on this little bench, up high so he could reach in there and see these chutes.  They're about three feet wide and the one comes down, and they have a little board that goes across to stop it when the car gets full, he hollered at the old mule, "Come on Maude," and she advanced a car ahead,(pushing it with her collar).

"See?" said the supervisor.  He was really laughing.

"I was doing all that myself for nothing!  She was hooked to the front of the cars and pulled them out of the station while I walked behind and he stood on the brake of the last car.  Then he hooked her on a new of empties.  We got in the car and the mule went back up in there to where a wide place was.  He unhooked her and turned her around and said, "Push em in Maude," and she'd push her collar against the cars and push them all back.

Rag Town Haversons and Fredericksens
"It sure made him laugh.  I will never forget that.  That mule sure had a dumb student!"

Harvey stayed there 2 or 3 more days, and then was assigned to another place with another mule; it was a good mule, but not as nice as Maude.  He worked there for another year until the mine was closed.  He worked at the Silver City mine as well.

Harvey then went to Magna to work in the Mill.  His father had come to work there for awhile with his brothers.  Harvey had a good job as a sample taker.  He would take samples of different ores from different areas  different areas of the mine. 

One day he heard that the mine was going to cut wages.  Harvey went to the boss and told him if they were going to cut wages he would have to quit.  "It's a good thing you thought about that, otherwise, I would have had to fire you!"

Copperfield, Dad built fires in the 3 smoke stacks
stream ran  air-compressors for the US Mine
Harvey went to the Garfield Smelter after that.  One of the men he worked with pulled a "fast one on him."  He was working on the motor, bringing the ore into the furnaces.  He had two assistants working with him there.  One day, they needed a couple of pick-axes, so the boss sent Harvey out to get some.  While he was gone one of the helpers(Jack Haws) went to the big boss and asked to be put in charge of the motor.  He told them that Harvey was going to quit.

The boss agreed and when Harvey came back, he was told that now Jack was now going to be running the motor and Harvey could have the job as a puncher, one of the most detested jobs in the mine, requiring working over the hot ore.  When Harvey asked what was wrong with his work on the motor, the boss said " Nothing, but Jack's going to work there"  Harvey finished the day there and when he got home one of the other men told him what Jack had done.

Copperfield was dying 
In 1924, Harvey went to work for the United States Smelting and Refining Company (U.S.Mine). in Bingham Canyon.  He worked at the Copperfield mine in Bingham.  Harvey worked for the company for 43 years, 15 years underground, and the balance in the compression room.

Harvey was staying at the U.S. Mines hotel in Bingham.  The mine owned the hotel to house it's miners.  While he was there he met Signe Elizabeth Holmes, an attractive waitress at the Hotel.  They courted for about two years before they were married Christmas Eve, 1927 in the Salt Lake County Courthouse in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Harvey and Beth moved into a little apartment, but it was hardly a newly wed's dream.  The toilet was always backing up, water would run down the walls, it was drafty and the stovepipe would blow smoke in the apartment.  They only stayed there a month or two and then they were able to move into a company apartment where they stayed for almost three years.

Their first child, Eugene Harvey Halverson (Gene) was born several weeks premature on July 18, 1928.  Gene was very small and he and his mother remained in the  hospital for two weeks.  Gene continued to grow and gain strength.  By the time he was four months old he was able to ride through the woods on a sleigh with his mother.  Gene and his mother spent a lot of time hiking and sledding in the  outdoors. Gene learned to love the mountains.

When it came time for Beth to have their second child, Harvey drove over to Eureka to pick up Helen Swenson, Beth's niece, to take care of Gene.  Harvey had quite a surprise when he got back; Beth had gone to the hospital right after Harvey had left for Eureka, and there had been a flood in Lower Bingham.  The roads and a bridge were washed out and he couldn't get up to the hospital, so he drove over to Carr Fork and was able to get to the hospital that way.

Copperfield in Winter
Leland John (Lee) had been born by the time Harvey got to the hospital.  The date was 1 August, 1930.  He said that Lee was small and sickly, the skinniest baby he had ever seen.  Lee was also severely premature and had to stay in the hospital for three weeks.  They were finally able to bring him home, but he soon developed pneumonia and was soon back in the hospital.  He was in and out of the hospital many times, and since Helen had to go back to school, Harvey's mother came to stay with Gene.

Lee's health necessitated a move from the high altitudes of Telegraph to Lower Bingham.  They moved to the Panos Apartments in Frogtown.  The damp and drafty apartment they had lived in was owned by the company, however, and the company was not pleased to have it left vacant. Lee's health slowly improved, however, and it was worth the move.

The family remained at the Panos Apartments until after Gene and Lee were in school.  Harvey was employed part-time at the service station below the apartments; he would fill in whenever they needed him.

Paul David Halverson was born July 7,1935 at the family home in the Panos Apartments.  Paul was the only full-term baby born to Beth and Harvey.  Paul had some respiratory problems at first, but the irregularity soon resolved itself and he was a very healthy child.

 In 1936 and 1937, Harvey became very ill.  The condition was diagnosed as silicosis of the lung.  This disease is caused when silicon dust particles, so common in the mines, find their way into the air sacs in the lung.  That makes it very difficult.  Pneumonia was another side effect of silicosis. 

Harvey was hospitalized for a long time.  After he recovered, the U.S. Mine, gave him a job running the air compressors needed to provide air to the mine.  Lee remembers that he used to leave school to visit his dad in the hospital.  Lee was in the first grade.

Harvey had been out of work for a year or so when the family moved from Frogtown to Telegraph.  The house was a small one, the highest house in Bingham Canyon.  It was fringed by pines and quaking aspen.  The family, especially Lee and Gene, loved it.  The rent was $6.00 a month. 

Panos Apartments in Frog Town
In August, Beth and Harvey were expecting their fourth child.  Harvey took Beth down to see Dr. Richardson at the hospital.  He told the couple, that every thing was fine and he would see them in 3 weeks.  Harvey took Beth home to Telegraph and he went to work in the mine that afternoon.  While he was gone Beth went into labor.  The neighbor lady called the Dr., but he was reluctant to come since he had just seen her that afternoon.  The neighbor was very insistent, however, and the Dr. arrived about the same time Harvey got off shift.  
The little house in Telegraph is lovingly spoken of by family members.  "It must have been good for Dad's health , too." Gene writes.  He used to walk one half mile to and from work up a 12% grade.  He soon was able to walk it non stop.  No one ever saw him stop to rest. "Everyone commented on it."  During those lean years when Harvey had been out of work, it was very difficult on the family financially.  "There was no welfare, " Gene recalled.  "Dad ran up a huge debt at Apostals store and Hogan's Dairy.  They trusted him and he eventually paid them back."

Back yard in Panos Apartments
Harvey, Gene, Lee
 Harvey did a lot of work on that old house.  "The house was located on the mine dump with a stream on the south," Gene continued.  "Dad made a couple of rock walls for flood protection  and in these walls, made the prettiest flower garden for mother."

Harvey was also something of a mechanic, which seemed to be a necessity in those days.  Gene says "Dad was an old Ford man in those days, but they were like another job for him.  He worked on the engine to get up the hill and the brakes before he went down."

Harvey became involved in various community activities during the Bingham years.  Beth and Harvey used to go to political meetings with the Panos' and Boren's and others.  They participated in Civilian Defense Programs and Harvey was certified to participate in the Auxiliary Police Corp in 1942.  The meetings had another appeal for Harvey, though.  There were always card games at the meetings and "Dad would still rather play cards than eat;" Gene teased.

231 Telegraph
The Halverson family spent many happy times doing things out of doors.  Camping, picnicking, Hiking, hunting, and fishing were favorite activities.  Lee recalls one family outing he will never forget:  The thing I remember most was fishing in Hobble Creek Canyon (Dad) had warned Gene and I about the bears.  We were fishing by some willows when we heard a growl and something crashing through the willows.  We started running; Gene figured out that it was Dad, But I just kept running and he had to chase me down to stop me.  "Harvey chuckled when he remembered the story, saying" they had to drag one foot to keep from flying!"

Lee also recalled a time when the family went to Yellowstone on vacation.  "We were sitting on a log, watching Dad fish and he couldn't get a bite.  He took some meat out of a sandwich and caught the biggest fish I had ever seen.  We thought he was going to lose it, but he put his foot on it until he got hold of it.  We didn't know it was illegal to fish with lunchmeat, but Dad did."

The ever-expanding Bingham Copper Mine forced the Halverson family to make two more moves.  They were able to stay in the little house they loved for several years before they had to move.  They moved into a house that was a little more modern.  This was a little more convenient for Beth, but it wasn't long before they had to leave that house as well.  Both houses had been torn down to make room for the open pit mine.

Beth and Harvey had purchased property in West Jordan, Utah, anticipating the need to leave Bingham Canyon as the mine continued to grow.  Bingham eventually died out; and Copperton City in the mouth of Bingham Canyon remains.
Dad's garden in Telegraph

The property, located at 1926 West 8660 South, did not have a house at that time, only a little shack that some friends of the Halverson's had lived in until their home was finished.  It was later used as a chicken coop.  The home that the Halverson's moved into was actually an old Army barracks that was made into a home. Harvey still lives there today.

The family really missed their Bingham Canyon home.  They had made many friends there and they would miss the familiar lifestyle.  Lee, who was a senior at Bingham High School in Copperton, was allowed to finish his schooling there.  They especially missed living in the mountains where there was so much beauty and so many things to do.  West Jordan is very flat and windy.  Their homesickness was compounded by the worst snowstorms in history, That Winter of 1948.

Gene, Paul, Dad Lee
Harvey continued his work at the U.S. Mine.  The mine relocated to Lark, Salt Lake County, Utah in 1953 and he continued to work in the compression room.  Beth was a homemaker.  Gene and Lee both served in Korea during the Korean War.  Paul finished his high school years at Jordan High , Sandy, Utah.

Paul was very active members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints (Mormon Church) and their example and testimonies greatly influenced Beth to join the Church.  Lee was able to baptize her on 15 June 1955.  Paul was called on a two and a half year proselyting Mission to New Zealand; his mission was also a positive influence on the family.  Beth and Harvey continued to be active church members; They were sealed for time and eternity in the Salt Lake Temple on 10 February 1958.  .  Paul was sealed to them when he came home from his mission; Lee was also sealed to them at a later time.

Joyce Houghton Halverson
The Halverson were now starting to grow up and leave home to begin lives of their own.  A brief profile of each child and his or her family follows:

Eugene Harvey Halverson was married to Joyce Wilma Houghton on 23 September 1955 in Castle Gate, carbon County, Utah.  They built their home in West Jordan, just around the corner from Beth and Harvey's house.  Eugene was employed by Kennecott Copper Corporation for 41 years and retired in April, 1986.  They have 2 children; Diane Kay and David Eugene.  Diane married Jay Dee Cahoon and they have 4 children, Tyler Jay, Callie Ann, Marcie Leigh, Trevor Dee and Elizabeth Joy.  David is a Registered Nurse at St. Marks Hospital and is unmarried.

Leland John Halverson married Carol Sharp on October 6, 1954 in the Salt Lake LDS Temple.  They also built a home in West Jordan, not far from Harvey and Beth .  Lee was employed at Kennecott Copper and retired in 1985.  Lee and Carol now live in Torrey, Wayne County, Utah.  They have four children: Carolee, Wayne John, Bonnie LaRae, and Janet.  Carolee is married to John H. Lloyd, Jr. and they have four children: Deanna, Brian, John, Heather Ann, and Christopher Scott.  Wayne was married and is now divorced; he has two children, Wayne Charles, and Kristy Lee.  Wayne is employed by the Utah Bureau of Wildlife Resources.  Bonnie is married to Jon Jones; in the legal department.  Janet is unmarried and works for Smith's Management Corporation as a Regional Manager.

Paul David Halverson was married on 28 June 1974 in Dillingham, Alaska to Agnes Mahoney.  Paul served in the United States Army and graduated from Utah State University with a Bachelors Degree in Engineering.  He also has a Masters Degree.  Paul has been a college instructor in aeronautics and is now an aircraft inspector for the Federal Aviation Administration in Cleveland.  Paul and Agnes have four children;  Hansel Harvey, Beth Ann, David John, and Peter Andrew.  Paul and Agnes and their children were sealed in the Chicago LDS Temple in the summer of 1988.

Signe Elizabeth (Beth) Holmes Halverson
As their children left the house, Harvey continued to work at the U.S. Mine until his retirement on 30 June, 1967. There was a very nice Awards Banquet where he was honored for 43 years of service.

Gene and Harvey had built a camper for Harvey's truck and Harvey and Beth  took many opportunities to go camping and fishing after he retired.  Harvey and his brother, Chris, also took many trips to Strawberry Reservoir to fish.  They would take Harvey's boat or Chris's boat and sit for hours on end.  Then they would bring their catch back to Harvey's and smoke the fish in Harvey's homemade smoker.  They would share the freshly smoked fish their friends, neighbors and families.  Those fish were always delicious.

Harvey and Beth did a lot of traveling with their children when they were older.  In 1963 and 1965, they travelled to Detroit, Michigan to pick up new cars for Paul.   They went back to the New York World's Fair in 1965 and were able to tour Washington D.C. and other historic sites.

Harvey was always a wonderful grandfather.  Lee's wife, Carol, recalls the times when Harvey would sneak off with Carolee and buy her an ice cream cone and bring her back to Carol to clean her up!  Harvey taught all his grandchildren how to twiddle their thumbs, play solitaire and crank an old-fashioned ice cream freezer.  Harvey always had a calf in the pasture and the grandchildren loved to help him take the bucket out to feed the calf.

Mother with a cup of coffee
One of the most cherished traditions in the Halverson family was started  in Beth and Harvey's home; this was the annual Christmas dinner party.  Beth would always go all out and prepare a beautiful dinner, complete with homemade rolls and lovely carrot pudding.  When dinner was over, the dishes would b quickly done and put away and it would be time for the program.

Beth always made sure that each grandchild had a special task to perform for the program.  Some were in charge of leading Christmas carols.  Some did special music numbers.  The Christmas story of Jesus was always read and occasionally it would be acted out by the children.  Then it was time for the gifts to be opened.  Beth would always make something for each person there.  Those are gifts we treasure.

231 Telegraph
One special Christmas, just after the program, there was a mysterious sound outside.  Every child there was sure he heard reindeer on the roof and then the sleighbells!  Suddenly there was a loud knock on the door and in the front room came Santa Claus!  The grandchildren were ecstatic and the only person who was more thrilled than they were was Beth.  Lee had arranged the surprise through a friend of his and it is something the entire family will never forget.

In the early months of 1968 and 1969, Harvey and Beth went to Hawaii for several weeks to stay.  While he was there, Harvey discovered a new hobby; he would get up very early in the morning and search for glass balls on the beach  The glass balls were used on Japanese fishing nets to buoy the nets in the water.  Occasionally, one of the balls would break free of the net and would be carried by the currents would carry the ball to the Hawaiian shore.  Harvey learned that by arising at 4 a.m., he could often find one or two balls.  He gave most of them to family and friends, but somehow he managed to keep a few for himself.  He also enjoyed fishing from the beach and occasionally, went deep sea fishing.
Harvey's other hobbies include hunting and watching baseball games.  Harvey took his boys with him as soon as they were old enough to go, about 5 or 6 six years old.  One of Harvey's most prized trophies was a large swan he shot one year. 

Watching baseball is one of his favorite pastimes.  Lee remembers going with him to the baseball games played in Bingham between the U.S. Mine and the Utah Copper.  Every Saturday during the baseball season, Harvey sit down to his television and spends the day watching baseball.  One of his high points last year came when he was able to get cable television and can sometimes watch a game every day of the week.  When visiting Hawaii, he often walked down to the park to find a game in progress.  He said he never enjoyed playing the game as much as watching it!

It was late in September, 1974, when Beth became seriously ill.  On the 3 October, 1974 Beth passed away from congestive heart failure at the Saint Marks Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah.  She was buried in the West Jordan Cemetery on 5 October, 1974.  Harvey, of course, misses her very much and he was very lonely, but his positive attitude and characteristic cheerfulness were an inspiration to the entire family. 

Utah State Champions 
Now that Harvey was alone, he began to travel more often, spending many of his winters in Hawaii   He also loves to go back and visit Paul's family.  In February, 1977, Harvey traveled to New Zealand to visit relatives he had corresponded with for over fifty years but had never met. 

Harvey has so many wonderful character traits that his family and admire.  He has a very quick wit and can always make a conversation lively and fun.  He loves to tease, and his daughter-in-laws all commented that when they first met him, they never whether to believe him or not.  He is such a thoughtful person, and always remembering birthdays and other occasions with a card or a note.  He is a wonderful story teller and everyone loves to listen to the stories he tells, usually the humor is at his own expense. 

Paul and Agnes
When Harvey was asked what advice he would like to leave with his descendants, he said, "I would tell them to be honest in everything they do and tell the truth.  That will always keep them out of trouble."  Harvey's life has been a testimony of that truth.  He is a man of great integrity.  He is someone of whom we can all be proud. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.