Friday, July 8, 2011


Translation by his granddaughter,

Christian Fredrick Nielsen Twede
                The autobiography of Christian Frederick Nielsen Twede was given to me by my Aunt Delia Harris, daughter of Christian, before she died.  She showed me the journal and said many of the pages were missing, but as I was interested i n genealogy, she wanted me to have it, thinking I could obtain some genealogical information from it.  It has been quite difficult to decipher in many places.  Grandfarher was a good penman, but he wrote in the old Danish script.  Often the Danish and English way of writing were intermixed.  At one of our genealogical committee meetings, I volunteered to try and copy it off for other family members.  I have been working on this project for the past year, and during  the copying of the last pages, I have reached the point where I could read the journal quite well.  My daughter, Ruth Baird Bartholomew, has done the typing of this autobiography for me. 

                As a child I remember my grandfather Twede quite well.  He lived with my father and mother in Mapleton, and had a room of his own with a little pot-bellied stove in it to keep him warm.  He disliked the copper pennies that are used as money, and whenever he had any, he always threw them into this stove.  When he emptied the ashes I would go out where he threw them away and sift them carefully.   These pennies I put into a little bank.  When we moved to Payson, I had several dollars worth of pennies saved, so my father helped me start a savings account in the Payson Bank.  When I married, these pennies I had saved, together with interest earned, were worth $20, enough for me to buy material for my wedding dress.  I am indebted to Grandfather Twede for that. 

                Grandfather went to live with his daughter, Thora Hafen in Springville when we moved from Mapleton to Payson 17 March, 1907.   He died there 7 April, 1907 and is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery on Mapleton Bench.  

                Aunt Viola remembers that Grandfather Twede's funeral was held in the Second Ward, the same building that is used at the present time in Springville.  His old friend, Mr. Berg was not only his undertaker, but he spoke at the funeral.  Viola says that every time her father came to visit them, he wanted Christiana to make chocolate and her rich, light sweet bread which she sliced and browned for him.  Viola says she never heard them quarrel.  When her mother made soap, her father would not come in the house.  He didn't like the smell.  "Mother had to take his lunch out to him," she said.  Thea gave Christian one dollar each day for his use.  He was a very proud and aristocratic man, Viola recalls.  "He was the cleanest and most particular man I ever knew."  When Christiana washed his handkerchiefs, he was not satisfied if they were not properly ironed. 

                I have enjoyed copying Grandfather's journal  or day book as he called it.  I have come to appreciate his testimony of the gospel and his spirituality.  He did a lot of good wherever he went.  I was impressed with the fluency of his language and the way he was able to express himself.  We as a family give thanks to him for leaving us his autobiography. 

Christiana Peterson

 by Christian Frederick Nielsen Twede,

Manti City, Sanpete County, Utah Territory, United States of North America,---------  11 December, 1886,

                The writer of this Synopis or narrative is Christian Frederick Twede.  "I was born 12 June, 1828 AD. in the city of Copenhagen, Kingdom of Denmark.  King Frederik V1. was king at that time.   My Father Erik Nielsen Twede, was born about 1785 AD. in a town called Twede (Tved) on the Island of  Fyn, Denmark.   He died in 1833.  My Mother was born in Copenhagen. 

                My mother had a man prior to my father.  She was married to him in 1806 and his name  was   de Place.  She had two sons by him,  The first being named Niels Christian de Place, the other Herman Ludwig de Place.  Niels Christian was born 10 May, 1807, and Herman Ludwig was born 21 January, 1808.  He died 29 August, 1853 (1854? while crossing the Plains) in Wyoming.  My mother's name was Marinette Halle.  She had six children by my father;  (1) Caroline Marie born 5 June, 1816,  (2) Emilie Charlotte born 13 July, 1818,  (3) Eliza born 15 July, 1820,    (4) Thora Henriette born 9 November, 1822,  (5) Caroline Johanne born 27 May, 1825,  and (6) Christian Frederick born 12 June, 1828.  I do not say that this is correct, but it is as I have been informed by my sisters. 

                In attempting to write a short history of my life, I realize my great incapability to do so;  however, I will endeavor the task.  I remember my father very well although he died when I was five years old.  He, my father, had a religious turn of mind, and I will here state that it is natural for me to be religious.   I have had many dreams of great importance to myself.   When I was eight years old, at 10 A.M. sun shining and my mother being in the room,  I saw a young angel passing through the room coming close to me, I said,  "Mother, I see an angel pass,"   but she did not see it and did not believe it.  My mother was not religious.  I never heard a prayer in my home and there was no Bible in the house.  

                I commenced at that time to help my sister to work at haberdashering.  At nine I began to go to school (1837) and in order to pay for my schooling, I was paid to sing that I might be of use in Church as a chorister.  I did sing in a large church in Copenhagen called, Holmen's Kirke.  I sang a great deal, but I learned very little.  At thirteen Years six months (1841), I was confirmed and sent over to my half brother, N.C. de Place, in Frederikshaven, Jutland (Jylland) in the north part of Denmark.  He being a saddler, proposed to learn me the trade, but it was not my choice.  I had a great desire to be an artist, that is a painter of the human face and landscapes.  I was always drawing pictures and never liked dirty or heavy work. 

Aunt Christiana with 7th Handcart Co.  Anderson picture
                After having remained with him over a year and four months, I left him on account of not learning sufficient of the trade and to much of other things.  I came back to Copenhagen and was received of Larsen Brothers who did business in the finest part of Copenhagen. I had a chance to learn many things belonging to the profession.  When I was about fifteen years (1843), my mother died.  From that time my brother, Herman de Place, acted as father to me.  I had a hard time of it, for masters in those days had great power over their apprentices.  I was looked upon as a smart and fine mechanic but also as a boy who had a mind of his own.  I liked liberty and would go out in the evening without leave.  Another failing was that I did not save enough material.  One day my boss, being in very bad humor, commenced to whip me with a tar rope about one inch thick.  It was almost a fight.  I took hold of him and we both fell into a large glass case.  I went to the magistrate and showed my body, it being blue, green and yellow.  He, my master, was summoned to appear before the magistrate and I was also to appear at the same time.  When he came he was perfectly white in his face.  I was asked what I claimed.  I desired to be made a journeyman by the first quarter which was 24 June, 1847.  My master, F.D. Larsen did not want to do it at first, but after he saw that I was determined, he finally agreed to it on condition that I make my show piece in his shop.  This I agreed to do.  And I will here state that I felt like another being.  It seemed as if the very heavens smiled upon me, and I did my work with alacrity and ease.   My master said I went at as if I were going to make a masterpiece.  According to law I was made journeyman on 24 June, 1847.  I worked after that for him until 27 June, 1847.  
Elizabeth Ann Jensen house.
She is Jon Meyer's 3rd G Grandma
It is now the Frederick A. E. Meyer house

                On 14 November, 1847 I left Copenhagen for Frederikshaven in Jutland (Juylland) and took work at my brother's, N.C. de Place, where I had been before in 1841.  On 1 January, 1848 I agreed with N.C. de Place to work for him one year for the sum of sixty-five rigsdaler, Danish money.  In return he should teach me to make English saddletrees that were worth thirty rigsdaler. 

                I left Frederikshaven for Copenhagen 9 February, 1849 where I stopped until 15 February, 1849 and left for Frederiksborg, 21 miles from Copenhagen and worked for Mr. Larsen until 6 May, 1849.  It was one of the finest places in Denmark.  There was a beautiful royal palace.  After leaving Frederiksborg I took work at Mr. Thorning in Frederiks Works (Frederiksvaerk) twelve miles from Frederiksborg.  It was a beautiful place surrounded by forests and lakes.  I spent some of my most pleasant days of my life there.  There was plenty of work and good pay.  The most we made were scabbards for swords and bayonets. 

                I made the acquaintance of the daughter of Mr. Petersen, a painters boss, living next to Mr. Thorning, the saddler.   I asked Henriette in marriage from her parents and we exchanged rings.  My boss died that year and I was chosen to act as foreman for the shop until I was called to be enrolled as a soldier.  I was told to appear in Copenhagen 12 November, 1850.  I therefore left Frederiks Works 9 February and arrived in Copenhagen the same date.  In that same evening I stopped with my oldest sister, Caroline Marie and read a pamphlet printed by the Church of Latter Day Saints called "The Voice of Truth".  After having read it through I said,  "yes, I can believe it.  Why should not an angel come today as well as before."  

Christian P. Boel--Gidian Twede--Herman Twede--John Hafen
                Some three weeks after I went to see Erastus Snow, one of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints.   It was very hard for me to get to see him that night.  There was a great power at work with me to keep me from him.  I went once and came back again and finally went the second time and got to see him.  Brother O.P. Hansen was with him.  It was in Broad Street on the left hand coming from the King's Square.  I conversed with Brother Erastus Snow for sometime.  Then I went home in Borgergaden close to Gothersgaden on the right hand where I rented a room all to myself on the third story.  Before going to bed I knelt and prayed to God that he would let me know if these men were sent by him.  I had a glorious vision.  My room was perfectly illuminated.  In the lighted room before me near the ceiling I saw a circle of glory and therein were two personages, both of the same appearance.  The one on the right hand side of the other raised his arm as in warning to me.  The peace, the heavenly bliss, joy and tranquillity I enjoyed can not be described by mortals.  Every soul must experience it for himself.  As the room became dark, I saw six or seven  demons and heard a noise and a rumbling tumult as of a earthquake.  I felt a destructive power take hold of me as if to tear my body to pieces.  It seemed as if every sinew and nerve was torn asunder.   By great effort I obtained the power to speak the name of Christ.  At that moment I felt the strength of my body come back to me.  I continued to pray and finally the demon disappeared and I fell asleep.  This vision was not a dream.  It is true and I can make the most solemn oath of it's truthfulness.  It has stood for me in the time of need.  I then dreamed I was a little boy sitting on the lap of a man and learning my ABCs. 

                I was at this time going to the military school every day in order to become an efficient infantryist, and in reading the Bible and praying, I received the spirit of repentance.  I saw my great imperfections compared with the laws of God.  After having finished the school, I was enrolled with the 2nd Jager Corps at Helsingnoer, twenty-five miles from Copenhagen.  I had the pleasure to be stationed in that great fortification called Kron Borg.  About the fifteenth of February the war ended, the troops came back, and the city gave a reception in honor of the warriors. 
Thora Hafen

                At Easter I got permission to go to Copenhagen to attend conference.  By that time I was convinced that the Church of Jesus Christ as established by Joseph Smith was the true Church and that the Lutheran doctrine was not in accordance with the teachings of Christ.  Since I had never been baptized, my baptism took place in the evening before Easter Sunday at eight o'clock in Oresundt.  There were about 20 persons present.  It was moonlight and we sang psalms returning to the city.  On Easter Sunday I was confirmed and returned to Helsingnoer.   (C.F.N. Twede was baptized 20 April, 1851 by John Forstgren and confirmed by P.O. Hansen.)

                I sent a letter to Henriette Petersen at Frederik's Works stating I had been baptized and joined the Church of Jesus Christ.  The consequence was that our engagement was broken up.  I was invited to her father's house once after that but to no purpose.  After that we never saw one another.

                The service that Summer were very hard, and in September some of us were removed to Fluesbur, a city in Schleswig, a kingdom belonging to Denmark.  I studied the German Language night and day the time I was there.  I had a good chance because I was acting as ordinancer in the general's staff and was therefore exempt from active duty. 

Delia Hafen
                One evening I went to see the Lutheran priest.  We had a conversation in which I told him of the vision I had.  He said it was nothing, only what I had heard in the evening.  I, being young and inexperienced, and he learned and of great experience, I got half upset in my mind.  When I came home that night I prayed earnestly to God that he would inform me, and I had a very remarkable dream.   I dreamed I was in a harbor and rowed a boat to a certain place endeavoring to get through, but I could not find an opening.  I returned to the man who had charge of the boat.  He went with me.  It was like dusk after the sun had gone down.  We went to the same place where I had been and he showed me by pointing to an opening where I had to go through.  I did see the opening but was afraid of it's narrowness and exclaimed,  "Oh, shall I go through there?"   He, the guide said,  "Yes."   I then commenced and as I moved on, it gave way.  It had the appearance of passing under a bridge.  It went easy enough after I got through.  It was a light as a beautiful morning.   I then walked on a narrow elevated path.  As I walked alone I saw to the left a broad road, fine and smoothly graded over.  On that road rich people in fine carriages traveled, enjoying themselves.  After I had walked a distance I came to a number of large buildings that looked like rooms where kings and great men of the earth were sealed away in their coffins.  I went through one after an other and felt that I was stranger there.  When I got out I saw an old woman selling cakes and opposite her stall was a tall building made of timber all open and full of people protruding themselves through everywhere and making all manner of noise.  I asked the old woman what that was,  and she said it was the ungodly.  I went to the left.  There was another tall building similar to the other but it was empty.  I went up alone until it got so low that I had to crawl on my knees to get along.  There I saw my half brother, Herman, the only one in the entire building.  I passed him and went to the top where I stood and looked around.  When I woke up in the morning I knew what the dream meant and I thanked the Lord for the same.  This dream had been a great comfort to me.  I knew I was right and it was for me to continue until I got to the top.  I will state that I fasted for three days and nights in order to obtain a victory over a weakness I had.  I tasted nothing whatever but a little water the last day.  On the fourth day I had to go to a bayonet fight and was covered with iron armor.  To my own and the officer's astonishment nobody could stand before me.  I exhibited such great strength. 

                I wrote a letter of eleven sides to my half brother Niels Christian de Place in Frederikshaven.  The letter did not suit him and he answered in seven lines stating he would not have any correspondence with me. 
Anderson    Delia Hafen

                After having remained in Fluesbur about seven months I was called back to Copenhagen and transferred to a light infantry battalion.  I was reported once for absence from quarters because of jealousy of the officers.  I was sentenced to forty-eight hours in prison, the first time in my life.  Finally after having served the Danish King Frederik VII as light infantrist for twenty-two months, I was honorably discharged. 

                I was then ordained an Elder, and in company of 22 members of the Church, John Forstgren included, I went in an open boat to Fyn.  But prior to going I had a dream of importance.  I was walking on a high road and saw John Forstgren on the left with a company of about 75 persons, all black, and G.P. Dyeks on the right hand side of the road with a company of the Same kind or shade of darkness.  I passed right along the road and came to a habitation where Erastus Snow, one of the twelve apostles, lived.  It was a beautiful place, and I was received with joy as if I were a son.  Let me say at this time it was not known to the membership of the Church that there was anything the matter with John Forstgren  and G.P. Dyeks and I had not prayed to know anything about them.  Now this dream has come to pass and although it was simply a dream the position of those men was revealed to me just as if an angel had declared it.  (These two men were undoubtedly excommunicated)  There are two kinds of dreams as there are of al other things.  That is, every true thing can be perverted, but by the light of God it can be determined which is of God and which is not.  Blessed is he that is thus favored. 

Hafen Kids
                We arrived in Fyn all right.  I had fasted all the time we were in the boat, and when I came to the house I took sick, was administered to and got better.  Two days after we went over to Frederikia in Jutland to conference.  I was sent from there to Schleswig on my first mission.  I stopped there but a short time on account of the laws at that time.  I had a brother Nielsen with me and on returning I sold  the gold ring from Henriette Petersen in order to pay our way.  In September I baptized A.D.C. Jensen, a sister, the first I ever baptized.  On returning to Frederikia I was sent in company with William Andersen to the Island Langeland, a small island about four miles wide and twenty-eight mils long.  We were the first two missionaries sent to that island.  I went through Fly and preached in a town called Svendborg, a seaport town close to Twede (Tved), a small hamlet where my father was born and from whence I have obtained the name Twede.  William Andersen met with some success in Langeland.  Brother Andersen baptized some.  We returned to Frederikia and was again sent to Schleswig, the city of Schleswig on 9 December, 1852.  I made a trip to Hamburg, the great city by the River Elbe.  I preached in the German Language.  Sister Hocte gave me money for the trip.  She and her daughter came to Hamborg.  I saw brother Alexander Ott there for the first time and we have remained bosom friends ever since.  He is a man of great accomplishments in languages.  I also met with Daniel Carn who was the presiding Elder there.  (one lost page, skipping the happenings of 1853)

                "On 15 Feb. 1854, Herman, my older brother, and I left for America.  We left by Kiel by rail to Gluckstadt in Holstine.  We stopped there about three weeks, then left for Hull in England.  From there we went to Liverpool where we stopped about three weeks.  Then we embarked on a sail ship, the Benjamin Adam, and sailed from there about 15 February 1854.  Nothing of importance took place.  I was seasick for seven days, then got well and strong.  We landed about the first of April in New Orleans, U.S.A., traveled up the Mississippi to St. Louis, and on to Kansas City, then a small town.  I took work in a saddle shop and stopped there about a month.  The boss was German.  He was content with my work, but did not pay me all it was worth. 

                Finally we got ready to start.  There were seventy-two wagons in all, some 300 milch cows and from four to six oxen to a wagon.  We broke a new road from Weston, six miles from Kansas City.  We had pilots stake the road off for us.  We traveled through tall grass all the time and finally got to Leavenworth by the river.  We had to ferry our wagons over at that place.  Then we proceeded onward to Fort Kearney.  Erastus Snow and Benson met us there. 
John Hafen  ???

                One morning at 10 A.M. Captain Olsen, the leader of the company ordered "halt".  we drove the wagons together in a circle, our wagons being close up to each other.  The reason was an immense herd of buffalo came running across the road.  I will here say that we beheld a sight that rich lords and millionaires would leave Europe to participate in.  It was a sight that can never be seen again for the animal is almost extinct.  There must have been a hundred thousand.  It appeared like waves of the ocean to see them galloping along.  The captain knew the danger having crossed the plains before.  Had we not driven into a circle, we could have been destroyed for they never stop or go aside.  In fact, they could not for there was no room.  No human being can imagine the sight, the awe, the impression, the noise or roar of so many thousands of wild animals moving all as one. 

                We captured twenty-two of these beautiful animals, the friends of the red man, the remnant of Jacob, and if a half a dozen painters had been there they would have had a treat and could have made thousands of dollars in working up rare pictures for the European market. 

                The life in camp is about as hard to describe as the sight of the buffalo.  The idea of 750 people from all parts of Scandinavia having all at once as if by a miracle twenty-two fine buffalo left right in camp for them to enjoy, all free gratis for nothing, is hard to believe.  Well everyone in camp was a  butcher or rather a part of one.  One skinned, another cut up the meat, then the women got it ready to dry.  Everybody laughed and were as busy as bees. 

                I stood and looked at one of the beautiful heads and large innocent eyes.  In the evening I made a pair of shoes of the hide, but they dried so I could not use them.  Most of the meat had to be thrown away some days after.  We continued our travel day after day.  The captain said we should kill all the rattlesnakes.  I killed nine.  Some Indians stopped us and asked tribute of us for passing through their land.  Some 200 miles east of the mountains we made a grand halt.  The oxen gave out and the provisions too, so we had to lighten up our loads.  I made a pair of pants for a boy and got five pounds of flour in pay and I was as happy as a lark.  I was in the wagon with a family by the name of Hansen.  Brother Beckstrom and I were with them as a kind of passenger. 

                When we came to Fort Bridger, I took charge of the oxen and drove them into Salt Lake.  Before we reached the city my oldest sister, Caroline, and another sister, Marie, met me and give me some eggs and bread.  ( his brother, Herman Ludwig died on the trail in Wyoming 29 August, 1854, nothing is mentioned about his death in the journal)   
Julina Harris--- Delia Twede Harris
                We camped on Union Square in the evening 5 October 1854.  The sixth I took a bath in the warm springs and went to a meeting.  A few days after I obtained work with Brother B.H. Young.  He had a saddle and harness shop in the center of the Globe building.  He had a Brother Francis Platt, and a English saddler to work for him.  I made a contract to work for $22.00 per month and board.  Before that my sister took me to Heber C. Kimball's house, It was the first house I entered in Utah.  At Christmas I went to the first ball in America. 

                On 7 January, 1855 I was engaged to take the place as post saddler in Rush Valley.  There were more than 500 U.S. soldiers in Salt Lake City.  I always prayed that I might be able to pay my debt to the Emigration Fund so you may believe I was glad to get the job at $40 per month and board.  I left Salt Lake City 9 January, 1855 in the U.S. wagons.  When we camped at night Captain Coke, the officer at the post, desired to see me.  He wanted me to go to California with him in the coming May, but I told him,  "No".  I was engaged to do the work while they camped in Utah but was not to go with him.  He did not like it, but in the morning he said nothing and when we drove into the station he came to meet me and the day after he invited me to his quarters and treated me with all the respect belonging to a gentleman.  Every Sunday I had a fine horse to ride to the nearest settlement, Tooele, about nine miles from our camp.  Sometime in May the troops left for California.  It was called the Steptoes Command.  I had an excellent chance to go to California.  In those days money was plentiful and I could have had $140 a month and board and a good horse to ride and nothing to do, but I loved the religion better than all the wealth I could have obtained there.  I went back to Salt Lake City and paid my debt ofr the Emigration Fund and went to work for B.H. Young again for $2.00 per day and continued to work there all Summer. 

Hyrum Smith Harris
                I got acquainted with a girl by the name of Maria who lived in Heber C.Kimball's home.  I kept company with her all Summer.  In August my oldest sister, Caroline married Gardner Snow who lived in Manti.  I went down with her to that place.  Gardner Snow also married another sister named Marie, a great associate of my sister.  But before we went to Manti, I had my first Patriarchial Blessing from Issac Morley.   It took us a week to get to Manti about 130 miles south of Salt Lake City.

                On returning  I was called on a mission to the United States.  I recieved my endowment and was ordained a seventy by Erastus Snow, one of the twelve apostles, on 3 September, 1955 in the Endowment House, Salt Lake City.  I left Utah the 10 September, 1855 in the company of twenty-four Elders.  Orson Pratt of the twelve apostles was with us. Captain Alexander Ott, my friend from Hamburg was also with us.  Also there were two more Danes, Christiansen and Christensen, Christ Hier and Simson, two Norwegians, and Homer Duncan and Allen.  I had a white horse with red spots.  It cost $90.00.  I also had a saddle and a pair of pistols.  We left 10 September, 1855.  At Deer Creek I traded my horse to an Indian for a fine pony six years old.  Had it not been for that our wagon could not have gotten through for the five inches of snow that night.   Before we got to Omaha we ran short of provisions and sent people ahead to get some.  When we got to Omaha the people came around the wagons and inquired who we were.  Some said we were the Mormons coming back fore the grass-hoppers were destroying everything.  Others of the knowing ones said that they would be damned if they would believe it for they knew better.  They said the Mormons would turn and eat the grasshoppers first and those that said so were right, for we would before we would come back. 

                I sold my horse in Council Bluff for $40.00 and we all took the steamboat down the river to St. Louis.  John Taylor was there.  Brother Alexander introduced me to James Hart, a very fine Englishman.  Christiansen and I were sent to Keokuk and a Brother Larsen was given me as an assistant in traveling the neighborhood, but I was mostly in Keokuk for the winter was very hard.  There was a little young widow named Elizabeth Beagle whom I kept company with.  We came nearly to be married, but some how it took a turn.  She learned I had a sweetheart in Salt Lake City and got scared.  One time when I left Keokuk, she gave me a little money.  May God ever bless her for this act.  She never came to Utah. 

the Christiana from Hazel Twede Baird
                After leaving Keokuk I went to Burlington and traveled with Brother Larsen round about in the neighborhood.  In Burlington I got acquainted with Brother John M. Larsen, a cabinet maker and we have been good friends ever since.  The members of the Church that were there had all come over from Scandinavia that season.  There was great deal of fever among them.  I and Brother Larsen went to a Scandinavian settlement but we made no converts.  I was sorrowful on account of not having any success and in the night I had a dream. 

                I dreamed my cloak was spotted with bad looking blood and as would clean off the spots, they all turned white.  When I awoke I had my the interpretation that my garments were clean of their blood.  That day I had a letter to come back to Keokuk.  A new lot of emigrants were leaving for Utah and I took a basket and went around to gather up food for the poor emigrants.  After laboring with them for some time I was permitted to go to St. Louis in order to go to Utah in A.O. Smoot's Company.  I made some whip lashes for A.O. Smoot and bought some things for myself and Marie that lives in Salt Lake City with Heber C. Kimball.  (lost pages---leaving out happenings from July 1856 to 1859

                The United States Army under command of  General Johnston entered Salt Lake City 26 June, 1858.  Not a living soul was to be seen.   The army marched through in close column.  Not a man was permitted to break rank.  The orders  were to camp six miles on the other side of the Jordan River.  It must have made an impression on those soldiers never to be forgotten.  After the governor (Cummings) and the U.S. officer had ascertained how matters stood there came a pardon from President Buchanan for all we had done and all we had (not) done and the people were permitted to return to their homes.  Brother Brigham Young said that we might expect good times and we all turned to making money.  I commenced to make whips and kept it up until 1863.  I went in company with Brother Sherrer.  He had rented a small house by the City Hall.  Everyone was happy.  Everybody had a $20.00 gold piece and nobody could change it. 

Christian Peter Boel (PETERSON) Family
                Nothing happened of importance before 24 April, 1859.  On that day, a Sunday afternoon there was storm and rain.  In Bishop E.D. Wooley's house,  Christiana Petersen, a common farmers daughter became my wife.  She was from a little town or hamlet called Viborg Shift, Jutland, Denmark.   She had nothing and I had nothing so we rented a house in the Eleventh Ward and we commenced life together.  That Summer I bought a cow.  It took all the money I had, and the first time I let it out of my sight it was lost.  In December I rented a house of Heber C. Kimball's in the Eighteenth Ward, it being near my shop.   My first child was born 1 February 1860, she lived nine months and died of inflammation of the bowels.   I had then left the partnership of Sherrer and rented part of Brother Daft's gunsmith shop in Main Street.  My wife brought forth another daughter, Thora (Tora) Marionette, Born 13 June, 1861.  
                I moved shop over to Sister Beckstrom next door to where we lived and in the Summer I bought the first piece of ground I ever had in this world.  It was in the Eleventh Ward on the south side of the same block where I first lived.  I worked hard and got up the house that year and moved in it in the Spring.  I worked on the lot all summer and fenced it by a mere stretch.  I had then rented a shop of D. Bull and Whittenmore. 

Christiana's story in "Children's Friend"
                "On 12 June, 1862 there was a call for the militia for a force to go up to Ogden Hole by the Weber River to subjugate a gathering of people called Morrisites.  I joined the artillery, bought a uniform for $30.00.  Morris claimed to be a prophet and commenced to imprison persons.  I went as an artillery man and loaded the canon.  They would not yield.  We went in the flag of truce and the order was to take them dead or alive.  Consequently, we fired all day, but did not take the fort that day.  It rained all night and the rain did not stop until Sunday morning at 4 A.M.  On that day we took the camp.  They surrendered, but then rallied again and took up their arms and the so called "Prophet" Morris and his councilor Bangs were shot. 

                On October 18, 1962, I married Elizabeth Ann Jensen, the woman I baptized in Schleswig.  She had her son, Frederick and Josephine with her.  I married her because she wanted me, and Brigham Young did not understand the true position and maybe I could not explain it properly.  It did not amount to much, she being older than I and spoiled by her first husband.  She wanted to boss me and that could not be done.  So for the sake of peace, we parted, and I gave her a bill of divorcement on 19 August, 1864. (C.F.N. Twede bought a house for her September 20 1861.  She sold it in the late 1860’s to Fedrick Meyer.  It is still called the Meyer Residence.  It is listed as SLC’s finest Victorian residences.)

Father with Christiana
                I gave her the only property I had in the shape of land and house which had cost me $11.00, three years of schooling for the girl and some loads of wood.  Times were good and I had a pretty fair business for a poor mechanic. 

                I Married Dorethea (Thea) Cecilia Hastrup on 12 September 1863.  She had a vacant lot joining the one she lived on.  I bought it and built a house hereon.  Then came a great excitement and wheat came up to $7.00 per bushel.  A great many mechanics left Salt Lake City. 

                About the middle of April (1864) I made a trade with Brother Stubbs in Provo.  He took my lots and houses on the hill of the Seventeenth Ward and I got his four lots and old house in Provo and $5.00 in merchandise which I used to build an addition to the house and make general improvements.  Thea (Dorthea) started with me first while Christiana remained with the children.  I worked hard and was almost sick of the move.  One night I heard a voice plain and distinct saying three times,  "It is the wisest move you ever made."   This was the voice of the spirit.  I woke up and told Thea. It was a comfort to me.   (Christiana's children called her the other mother, Aunt Thea (Tayah).  

                In the later part of May, I moved Christiana and the children down to Provo and I started a small tannery, but I could not bring it through.  I had not the means sufficient and gave up.  I had a shop on the corner of Center and Main Street, but it did not answer.  I could not get money enough.  I was a presiding teacher to Bishop S.P. Johnson and captain of 50 infantry. 

Christiana going to Zion
                In October of 1866 I became a member of the School of the Prophets.  Also sometime in October Brother A.M. Musser engaged me to take care of a saddle or harness shop that was started in connection with a shoe shop by the Church for the purpose of paying the many hands that worked on the large tabernacle that was being finished that season. 

                On the 10 October, 1866 the first son was born to me.  His name is Frederick Gideon Twede.  (the Tabernacle was finished in 1867 and first conference was held 6 Octobe, 1867 and all records say that Gideon was born 10 Augus, 1867---- Hazel T. Baird) 

                I rented a room  of Brother Wilford Woodruff, one of the Twelve Apostles, and Thea came back from Provo to keep house for me.  We spent the Winter very pleasantly and I had a chance to visit my old friend, Brother Alexander Ott, who lived on the west side of the same block.  In April we moved into a small house of Brother Woodruff, and he took part of his family down to Provo and occupied part of my house. 

Little Grandma with Peter Boel (Peterson)
                The first of June I told Brother Musser that if he would not permit me to hire help,  I did not want to run the shop for the Church for I could not make it pay.  I had done it to help the Church and not for my own interest.  A.M. Musser told me to make up the books which I did and the account was $100.00 profit per month.  I paid my tithing and quit.  I rented a shop of B.Y. Hampton in Second South opposite Walker Brothers, near the corner of Main.  The business commenced to brighten up.  Brigham Young took a large contract for the railroad company.  I moved down the street in the middle of the block east of where I was.  I rented a part of the shop of a Brother Sutter, a very intelligent tailor, and hired a man by the name S. Kealer, a good workman, and rented a room of A.M. Smoot in the Twentieth Ward.  I sold a good deal of harness but everything was high so it did not amount to much.  In the summer after I rented part of Francis Platt's shop on the same street and commenced to making whip lashes again.  I had a chance to buy a house but not the ground close to B.Y. Hamptton's shop at $300.00.  I moved in right away and Thea lived upstairs.  It seemed hard to get along that Winter, there was a group called the Godbye Party that apostatized, Brother Godbye, Henery Lawrence, Amasa Lyman, one of the twelve apostles, and Eli B. Kelsey were the main leaders.  I saw them in a dream, all four standing before me and all black.  The School of Prophets had been running for some time and I had been a member thereof from the beginning, October, 1866.  I acted as a teacher in the Fourth Ward that winter, 1868-1869 as I had acted in the Eleventh Ward and also in the Seventh Ward.  In Provo I had been presiding teacher.  In the Spring of 1869 I sold the house to Bishop Leonard Hardy of the twelfth Ward and moved Thea down in the Ninth Ward.  I rented part of John Swensen's shoemaker next to the house I sold.  Welived in the Ninth Ward and were very happy.  We got acquainted with a family by the name of Strigland who had a daughter by name of Permelia, a very good girl.  In the winter we moved to the Twelvth Ward.  In the Spring of 1870 there was a general stir in Salt Lake City.  The railroad was finished to Ogden and a building boom had taken hold of the poeple.  I bought a small log house and two rods front and ten rods back for $375.00 and went to work and built on to it and finished it up in general.  It cost to much, but that has always been my weakness.  Let me state here that had it not been for the interest that Thea got from her beloved father, I could not have done what I did.  She was always ready to help me with her means for the benefit of the whole family and may God bless her forever.  She had been a great comfort to me all the time.  We moved in June and was very happy to get a home again of our own in Salt Lake City. 
Peter Boel (Peterson)  Aunt Hanna

                I sent to Philadelphia for a machine to braid whip lashes.  It was of no account.  I lost $15.00 on it.  That winter we both went down to Provo for a visit and I came back in February, 1871 and worked along as best I could.  That fall there was excitement in Pioche, Nevada and E.J. Gustaveson hired me at $100.00 a month.  I worked until the 15 December.  I had a chance to paper Brigham Young's home in Provo and my old friend, John Silk helped me.  We had a good time together and Sister Young treated us well. 

                In the fall of 1874 I rented a small shop of Bishop Jenkins of the Fourth Ward.  He had a stable on 2nd South Street.  It was a poor shop but a good street.  I remained there until 8 November, 1875.  The Church was trying to start a kind of a cooperation and there was a great talk about making everything we could ourselves.  I concluded to go to California to learn how to make saddle trees.  I started the ninth of November, got to San Francisco and traveled around for a month, but I could not accomplish the task. I returned to Salt Lake City disgusted with California.  On returning I went to Provo and to Manti and Gunnison and returning to Provo.  I sold my property to Brother Nielsen, a watchmaker for $600.00 and a lot in the Eighth Ward and moved the family into Salt Lake City.  I rented a house in the Twenty-first Ward and bought a lot 4 x 10 rods joining the lot I rented and paid $500.00 for it.  I also bought one rod addition to Thea's lot for $175.00 and spent some $150.00 besides for fencing and $75.00 for a well and pump.  

                That spring I went in partnership with Louis Hook and rented a shop next to the theater.  We worked along that summer but it did not amount to much and in the fall, Louis hook had a chance to get a steady job as a saddler with Wallins Company so we parted and I bought out Mr. Mower in 2nd South Street and hired his two boys.  I held out for a year but I could not stand it.  Mr. Jenkins had a grudge against me on account of my starting next to him in Theater Street, so I sold out to him what little there was and took a trip with John Smith to Sanpete and Millard County in order to find a place to settle, but I did not meet with any success. 

                In the spring of 1878 I made a trade with a man for a house and lot in American Fork.  He took my lot in the Eighth Ward even up for the lot in American Fork.  I built a kitchen that cost $60.00 then I bought a car load of slabs and cedar posts and commenced to fence the lot.  I had to go to the Justice of Peace to get the people out of the house.  I hired men and oxen to dig up the lot and planted it with Lucerne, and got the fence up.  I worked hard--to hard--and to finish it I built an addition of adobes to the house for a shop.  It cost $90.00.  I spent $225.00 in all on the property that year.  After I got into the shop I took a fearful cold.  It seemed liked it took all summer to get well.  (In the margin of the diary, it stated that Viola was born June, 1878). 

                My daughter Thora married John Hafen that summer, 1879 (a famous Utah painter).  On 23 May, 1880 at 2 A.M.--22 minutes, the fourth Sunday of the month, Thora brought forth a son. 

                As Sister Wilkin died in January, 1879, Thea and agreed to take the daughter, Anne Wilken until she got married. 
                My third daughter, Alice Dorthea Twede married Captain John Hart, very much against my will  and it brought out hidden feelings in her mother that will hardly be settled in this life if ever.  I have no hatred against her, but we do not seem to be made for one another.  A mother and a wife is two different things.  It was a hard trial for me, the utter disregard for my reasonable desire.  The girl was not sixteen years old at the time.  (missing pages---begins in 1887)

February, First I put down some rules for myself;  ELEVEN RULES for the DAY 

No. 1: Secret Prayer.
No. 2: Keep your tongue in cheek.
No. 3: Suppress anger.
No. 4: Consider the effect of every action before doing it.
No. 5: Cultivate humility and charity.
No. 6: Let love be the mainspring of all your actions.
No. 7: Think of Christ as he hangs on the cross.
No. 8: Stop work when tired.
No. 9; Do not eat, drink or sleep more than needed.
No. 10 Consider that others do not look on thinks as you do and are different from yourself and can be right although opposite you in many things.
No. 11 Remember you are never alone.  Therefore do nothing that you would not do in the presences of angels.
Julina Harris  Delia Twede Harris
signed,  C.F.N. Twede

                "My daughter Delia was married to Hyrum Harris of Provo 9 April, 1890. 

                Saturday the fifth I returned by mail (rode with mailman) to Manti.  The cost was $1..00.  I obtained 8 1/2 pounds of buckskin at $5.00 from Axtel Einersen.  On the sixth I attended Sunday School.  In the evening I spoke in the South Ward.  I made whip lashes all week.  Thora sent some doll dress goods to American Fork to Viola.  Sunday the thirteenth I spoke in the German meeting.  Fred Mayer from Salt Lake City called to see me very unexpectedly.  On the eighteenth I sold $6.00 worth of whip lashes to the Cooperation.  A telegram came that the Edmund Tucker Bill had passed considerably modified, but we do not know how it is yet as it is not signed by the pesident of the nation.  On the ninteenth we had a quarterly conference in Manti.  Lorenzo Snow of the Quorm of the Twelve Apostles spoke.  A good deal was said that Christ would soon be be here and we must prepare for his coming and the the young of this people might look forwad to the resurection and instead of being buried would be changed. 

                On Sunday night I went to Brother Tuttle's house and spent the evening in company with Bishop Thurber of the Sevier Stake and Brother Fulsom.  From the 20th to 27th I was laid up with sore eyes.  In that time I read the book issued by Rev. M.T. Lamb, Boook of Mormon, is it From God?  It is in my judgement a weak and inconsistant position and is wrong. 

                Monday morning about 3 A.M. I had a dream.  I felt secure and content with some small dark object, but on turning round to look for it was gone.  I beheld myself standing in the ocean with water up to my knees about a quarter of a mile from shore.  On looking I saw the water going high on the land nearly to the top of the sage brush.  I began to realize my position and became quite concerned how I should get to land.  Then I awoke.  I figured I was as not as safe as I thought and had all I could to save myself. 

                On March fourth I recieved $3.60 of L.C. Kjier for eighteen hours labor done in his shop.  I bought five and one half pounds of home dressed buckskin at a dollar a pound.  I received a letter from W.F. Chelemere in Lander, Wyoming with $21.00 enclosed.  I had $11.00 loss in the transaction.  I received an order for $11.00 of whip lashes from Chipmans of American Fork.  On the evening of the twelfth I went to the theater in Manti for the first time and saw the play CAST UPON THE WORLD. 

                On April fifteenth I sent to S.P. Teasdale, in Salt Lake City;  Payable to Dorthea Gad (Thea), she furnished $17.00 worth of buckskin. 

                3 dozen buckskin whip lashes @ $6.00----$18.00
                3 dozen       "         "        "       @ $4.80----$14.40
Boel's 20 acre farmin Mapleton--Twede farm to north
                On April 22 I left Manti.  I spent a very pleasant time in Ephraim.  I spoke Danish and English on the 24th in Ephraim.  I traded for a pair of blankets and left on the 25th.  After a special conference for Fairview, I met Dan Jones, the saddler and had a talk about Arizona.  I went through Thistle valley to Springville.  I have given up my idea about the Indians as not practical.  I stopped with (my daughter) Thora Hafen.   There was a heavy storm May first.  On May third I left for Provo where I stopped with A.O. Smoot.  I took an order for a single buggy harness @ $40.00.  I arrived in American Fork on the fifth and left for Salt Lake City on the sixth and secured material for harness.  Then I went back to American Fork.  (missing pages until 29 August)

                On August 25th Pratt, the painter, told me he had proposed Delia but was too late.  In the afternoon I had a letter from the one that had been ahead of Pratt as regards to Delia.  The letter made me very sorry and angry.  On September 1st I gave Herman, my son, a copy of a blessing given him 18 January, 1874 in Provo. 

                On September 5th I returned from the quarterly conference held in Provo in the stake of Utah County where I had some important family business and therefore called upon A.O. Smoot, president of the stake, for advise.  He and I agreed perfectly as touching the matter, namely that Delia was too young to marry (20 years old) under the present crisis and that I and the mother would do better in mutually agreeing to live separate.  And may God add his blessings is my prayer.  I had a long visit with Paulsen, the machinist, in Provo.  I will leave for Salt Lake City tomorrow, but on account of sickness had to remain until the tenth.

                On the tenth I went to Garfield's Bathing place in company with the fireman's excursion from New York. 

                September 20th I worked a week on my homestead claim with the assistance of Mr. B.A. Froisette, but could not get the patent on account of non-fulfillment of law.  Then I tried to get work but it seemed almost impossible, but I did some work for Louis Hook for $4.50 and $7.00 worth for Amos Lucas and $1.50 for Dan Weggeland. 

                October 2nd--I went to see Johan, Edith's mother in South Cottonwood, returning to Salt Lake City, attended conference, had a fine ride with Bishop Madsen and Dan Weggeland.  On the 17th I bought an old saddle and some old packing equipment and on the 18th I saw Brother Larsen at Murray--Cottonwood and he agreed to give me an old horse, old wagon and harness for my house and a quit claim of my homestead. 

mother  Anne Marie Poulsdatter Pedersen
                October 19th--I returned to American Fork, went to Provo with C.J. Gustavsen to act as agent, also to Springville where I saw Thora's new boy.  Saw Delia, she said that she was happier than ever.  God bless her and protect her.  Christiana buried her mother (ANNE MARIE P. PEDERSEN) in Pleasant Grove 29th of October.  I went to Pelican Point with Larsen on the 13th and consummated the trade and transfer on the 31st.  Nothing of importance happened during November.  On December 5th I went to Provo and Springville to sell whip lashes and sold all I had.  I saw my daughters Thora and Delia, took Delia to a party on the 6th.  O December 7th I paid a visit at Delia's school and was well pleased therewith.  I returned to American Fork. 

                December 10th--I went to Salt Lake City and paid some $19.00 in tithing, bought some buckskin.  I went to a lecture in the Opera House.  The speaker was good.  The subject was,  "Free Thought and Inspiration."  The object was to wipe out Mormonism.  December 11th--I tried hard to sell an old horse wagon and harness, could not, but finally put it up at auction and got $22.00.  It seems I have no luck in anything.  All my expectations are wrong.  God give me patience.  I bought some more materials.  December 18th--Sunday.  Had a fine entertainment at Sister Tomstop's (?) in the evening.  December 19th--I returned to American Fork.  I was not well, but did work until past the 28th. 

                11 January, 1888, I attended the Presbyterian Prayer Meeting and had a fine conversation with Mr. Day, the minister.  He gave me a pamphlet, What Shall We Do To Be Saved.  On January 16th I was invited to deliver a lecture to the Elder's Quorum.  I did so .  It is cold, 24 degrees below zero for about a week.  On January 23rd-- I prevailed upon my oldest son, Gideon, past 20 years old to read the first six chapters in Mathew.  February 1st-- I have in the past week been in deep and earnest repentance desiring to prepare myself that I may be worthy to go to the temple in Manti and officiate for my dead friends.  O, how I plead with the Lord that I may be cleans and purified and prepared to enter the temple and receive the blessings in store of the faithful.  February 6th--I attended the Seventy's meeting where I spoke on the Holy Ghost.  I had a prayer with my family that evening for the first time in seven weeks on account of the feelings between the mother and me.  I also spoke about his welfare and his souls salvation.  (one page missing) 

Burr Family
                March 18th--I wrote Thea a letter.  I have continued to work in the temple until the 17th and so on until the 24th.   The work is being pushed on to it's completion.  April 10th--I copied a sermon given by Moses Thatcher at Lewiston, Cache County, 1886.  Subject,   "A man like Moses to come and deliver the people."  The morning after I was moved mightily in my prayer, an extra mount of the Spirit was given to me.  My impression was and is that the leading men of the Church were unitedly joined at that time in Salt Lake City before parting after the conference.  I continued to help with the carpet laying in the temple and got through on the 14th, having made 25 days, four hours in all at $3.00 per day.  Paid my tithing and $14..40 in donation.  April 29th--I laid carpet in Manti Temple Boarding House.  250 yards was ordered for the same.  $13.50 on the tithing book.  May 2nd--Sent letter to Thea.  May 8th--Brother Folsom called on me to do some work in the temple.  May 9th--Preparatory for the dedication unto God of Israel, to Him be honoree, power, glory and might forever and ever.  On the 17th--I had completed the work.  The last of it was the foot stool for the priest that offered up the dedicatory Prayer.  May 20th--We had visitors from Grass Valley, Glenwood and Springville.  Manti was full of people as it had ever been before.  

                May 21st--I had a talk with John W. Taylor, the apostle, about the Indians.  He made a statement as to the Indians.  He had a dream in a tent in Mexico.  May 23rd--I attended the last meeting in the temple.  I realized nothing remarkable.  It was said it had been dedicated and accepted of the Lord and that He had placed His name there and that is the ultimatum.  It was said by John W. Taylor, that Brigham Young and John Taylor would visit the temple.  May 27th--Apostle Erastus Snow died seven o'clock P.M.   June 2nd--I sent $9.00 worth of whip lashes to the family in American Fork.  June 4th--I was called to do some upholstering in the temple.  I finished the ninth.  June 11thI made arrangement to store 30 ponds of wheat in Caroline's house.  June 16th--I sent letters to Thea, Dan Weggeland and 200 pounds of flour to American Fork.  June 20th--I left Manti with Brother Curtis of Aurora, Seveir County.  We camped at Mayfield.  June 21st--Arrived at Salina 11 A.M.  Took the mail coach to Richfield.  From there to Glenwood.  It cost $1.55.  Stopped at my sister, Elizabeth's.  June 22nd--Left Burrville with Brother  Lepsig, a newcomer.  I talked with him about politics.  I traveled in the evening from his place over to the Burr family.  I had to crawl over some bad mud holes.  I found George Burr and stopped at his house.  June 23--I went to Koosharem three miles in a wagon and bought a buckskin @ $.75.  I went over to Brother Lepsig's after my things.  June 24th--Sunday, I attended Sunday School and spoke in the afternoon with a great deal of freedom.  The sisters had conference after the meeting was out.  Been spoke very well.  We also had a fine time in the evening conversing with Sister Bean and Thurber.  June 25th--Monday I walked over to Greenwich to see the Indians in their camp.  They took me for a gentile, said my hands were to fine to be a Mormon's and finally asked me to leave for they were afraid of me.  I returned and bought some skins in Koosharem.  June 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th--Made lashes in Burrville.  June 30th--I went to Koosharem and sold $4.25 worth of lashes to Petersen, the store keeper, took his note for the amount.  Two Indians came to Burrville.  I bought a hind-quarter of venison for fifty cents.  July 1st--Sunday, I spoke in the afternoon.  July 2nd--Made two lashes, gave them to the Burr boys.  July 3rd--Bought $2.00 worth of wool and made a mattress.  July 4th--There was a celebration of the day, a public dinner, dance in the evening.  I sent a letter to Thea and got one from her on the fifth.  (he visited his sister’s daughter Eliza Amelia who married George Burr)
Boels (Petersons)

                July 6th--I started for Fish Lake.  I helped them drive thirteen cows, ten calves and horse.  We came to the dairy in the evening, all tired and plenty to do before we could get to bed.  July 7th--A fine morning, I took a walk up a canyon, picked sixteen different kinds of flowers.  It rained some.  July 8th--Sunday, very cold, one-half inch of ice, went alone in a little valley called the Frying Pan, held worship alone, sung page 145, prayed and read in the New Testament.  We had a little fish in the evening.  July 9th--I went up to a saw mill, got a large trout.  I felt downcast on account of my weakness and imperfections.  It was a new moon, I always feel low spirited at that time.  July 10th--I bought some cheese for $.25 and had a good time reading the Book of Mormon.  Brother Leonard and I set a trap for fish and chased a lost lamb but did not get it.  July 11th--It rained and looked more like November than July.  I left with Brother Christensen at 4 P.M. and came to Burrville a 9 P.M.  July 12th--Henry Burr returned from Rabbit Valley and paid me $4.20 for ten lashes.  July 13th--I made lashes and sold two for $1.00.  July 14th--Conference in the Cedar Grove a mile from Burrville.  It was remarkably cold in the morning, 41 degrees and 82 degrees at sunset.  I got a letter from Joe Nielsen in California.  We had a meeting in the evening.  July 15th--Sunday Conference close.  The Indians called to see me in the conference. 

                July 17th--I went over to see the Indians, gave them sugar and tobacco.  They received me with pleasure.  I told them God had a great work for them to do in connection with us Mormons.  I went over on horseback.  July 18th--I went with Brother John Burr to Rabbit Valley, a very crooked road over high hills about 45 miles to Thurber, stopped at Loa.  July 19th--Started for Thurber, got here at noon, stopped at Mansfield.  From the postmaster and storekeeper I bought skins for $5.50 and sold six lashes @ $2.50.  July 20th--I took the mail in the morning.  The driver had the most ragged clothes that I have ever seen, overalls all in tatter.  He was a son of Noise.  When we came to Loa I had a chance to speak to the great renowned Bishop Blackburn.  I left Loa and came to Fremont where I sold six lashes to that Postmaster.  The driver asked me to take lunch with him.  When I left Fremont, I stopped at Dan Briant's place and thence to Burrville.  It rained some all day.  I arrived in Burrville.  It only cost $.50 for 45 miles.  July 22- Worked a little at lashes, chased a skunk.  July 23--Sunday.  Spoke in the new meeting house.  Also Brother Jackson.  Took supper at Sister Stars where we had the first green peas of the season, very fine.  Worked at whips, tired and sleepy. 

                July 24th--Attended celebration in the new meeting house.  I prophesied in the name of Christ that the U.S. government would have to pay back to the Mormons four hundred fold for every dollar we paid them according to their command.  O, Father, let it come to pass for the advancement of thy work on earth.  Partook of the public dinner.  It rained some.  Sent a letter to sisters)Thea and to Caroline in Manti.  July 25th--Nothing of note.  July 26th--Bought 20 skins.  July 28th--Made up my mind to leave.  Paid Henry Burr a four horse lash, $1.25 cash to his wife, Coffee $.70, a big lash worth $1.00.  He expressed himself as well paid for the accommodation he had given me. 

                July 29th--Sunday--I made ready to start.  I went to Sunday School and asked if anyone knew the meaning of the word,  "pantomime,"  (Performance and acting without word of sound).  Not one of the children knew and in asking the grown-ups, they did not know either.  I was invited to speak in the afternoon, but had no spirit to do it.  I stopped at Sister Star's 'til,  I could not see my way to my sleeping place.  July 31--I was informed by a returned missionary from the East that James Hart, emigration agent, was called home--no more emigrants to come to New York City.  August 1st--I went over on horseback to see the Indians in their camp, had fine time, divided a piece of bread between eight of them, gave them sugar and tobacco.  Prayed among them, bought some fur skins for fifty cents, learned a few words of their tongue.  Told them their Father and my Father all the same, their blood and my blood the same,  meaning Joseph in Egypt.  Some have the idea the Indians will steal.  I left sugar and tobacco in their tent while going out for a while and nothing was touched.  O, God bless them and call them together to build Zion.  August 2nd--Left Glenwood.  Sister Starr went along.  we arrived 2 P.M.   (several missing pages)  

                March 1889--Thea and I continued to work for the dead until ninth.  We were adopted to Erastus Snow, one of the Twelve Apostles, who died about a month ago.  Thea left for Salt Lake City 11 March, 1889.  March 11th--Father and Mother Burr with a son and daughter came and stopped with my sister, Caroline.  They left the 15th.  March 16th--I made ready to go to Salt Lake City but do not know where to stop or what to do, still I will not complain.  I am not faring any worse than other polygamists.  I have now been traveling about four years and do not know how long I will have to continue in this way.  O, Lord, Holy and true, will thou not avenge thyself of the blood of they prophets and witnesses who have been slain for the sake of the truth.  Yea, Lord, Thy Holy will be done. 
Mach 18th-- Left for Salt Lake City.  Arrived there and went to work in W.K. Richard's shop.  Earned $10.00 before conference the sixth of April, but could not stand the foul air in the shop.  Had a talk with Brigham Young Jr.  Also a conversation with F.A. Hammond of the San Juan Stake.  He talked with Brother Cannon and Wilford Woodruff, president of the Church.  They said I could go to the Indians as I desired.  On the 20th April I received my permit.  It gave me great joy.  Then F.A. Hammond of the San Juan Stake gave me a recommend.  
                Salt Lake City, April 20, 1889,
  To the Bishops, Elders, and Saints of San Juan Stake of Zion; 

                Elder C.F.N. Twede is setting out for a mission to the Utes, Navajo and Pi-ute Indians found in said stake.  Please assist him in his labors.
                                                                                                signed; F.A. Hammond, president.

                The word from President W. Woodruff was that I had to be self-supporting.  I had but a few dollars so I went to see some friends and received what is recorded here;

 Charles Crow                       $1.00                                       John Billings                         $1.00
Carl Amundsen                    $5.00                                       Son of    Jenkins                   $  .75
S.P. Teasdale                        $5.00                                                       White                     $  .50
Dan Weggeland                   $2.50                                                       Choceran               $1.00
John Larsen                          $2.00                                                       Richard                  $  .50
         Muer                             $  .50                                                       Bagley                    $  .50
W.L. Richard                         $5.00                                       Charles Gustavsen               $3.50
Fred Myer                             $1.00                                       Son of    Jenkins                   $  .40
George Cheshire                   $1.00                                       Bishop Halladay                   $1.00
            Taylor                        $1.00                                                       Greenwood            $  .50
John Wilson                         $1.00                                       Marion Person                      $4.00
Lewis Hook                           $1.00                                       B.F. Coats                              $  .50
Francis Platt                          $1.00                                       S.L. Jones                              $2.00
N.C. Christensen                  $1.00                                       N.D. Anderson                     $1.00
                 I left 26th April, 1889 0n the D.R.G.W. Rail Road, stopped at Thompson's Springs.  Paid mail man $4.50 for passage to Moab, Emery County, Utah Territory.  Stopped at O.D. Allen, councelor to the Bishop, who lived in Bluff on the San Juan River and waited until a son of Brother Allen got ready to go to Bluff.  It took us four days to get to get to Monticello about 65 miles, a small settlement.   From there  I went to Bluff with another young man named Butt.  It took us two days.  Bluff lays close to the river named San Juan, a fearful looking place, bad water, very hot, red soil.  I slept in the co-op. warehouse made a few whip lashes to pay a debt in Salt Lake City.  The heat and the wind was so severe that I could not stand it and commenced to be sick.  Saterday, the eighth, in the afternoon about three o'clock p.m. I came near turning very sick on account of the lack of water.  When I got down into a canyon called Devil's Canyon, it was a fine resting place for me and the horse.  I got over to a ranch in the evening.  The next day, Sunday the ninth, I got to Monticello.  Stopped there 'til the latter part of June, but seeing I could do nothing with that kind of Indians, I left having made many friends.  In coming back, I stopped in Springville with my son-in-law until the 10th of July.  Then I stopped in Lehi 'til after the 24th.  I then went over to American Fork and worked about a week, then went back to Salt Lake City where I stopped until the 20th of September. 

                I borrowed $1.00 of Mr. Pickard and $50.00 of Thea so I could buy skins of the Indians.  Then I left again for Monticello.  When I got there it was so cold I did not know what to do, but I bought 750 pounds of raw deer skins and 80 pounds of buckskins and left Monticello about the 20th of November after having danced and smoked with the Indians.  I had made good friends with them.  In coming back to Salt Lake City, I sold the skins to W.L. Pickard and made a small profit.  I was very thankful that I came out as well as I did. 

                On 1 January, 1890--I stopped at Thea's house and tried to get something to do, but it was of no use.  Finally I sewed carpet for Fred Auerback's and earned $10.00  Then I gained a good deal of experience in the real estate business, but did not earn one dollar.  Thea thought of selling her little place on H. Street 120, but she could not buy anything as and cheap as what she had, so finally I said,  "you must borrow of W. Allen enough to fix up the place.  I planned for a summer kitchen and re shingled the old house and got the little place in good order.  I worked around the place until the 11th of May.  May 11th--I could get all the work I could do in Francis Platt's Saddle Shop, but it would not do, so I left for Manti the 13th and arrived there the same evening, stopping with my older sister Caroline Snow.  I had the idea of building a shop on a quarter lot of Caroline's but I did not. 

                May 25th--After service in the Tabernacle I met a lady, well dressed and lamenting.  She had dropped her purse with $70.00 in the Tabernacle.  It was all the money she had and her husband was in Colorado.  She was determined to get into the tabernacle but could not.  I worked some two and one half hours running around trying to find the guard.  Finally Hannibl, the night guard came and I took her in and there laid her purse on the floor where she had sat.  All the money was there.  She said,  "I insist on your taking this", and dropped a five dollar gold piece in my hat.  I needed it very much so I took it.  Her name was Mrs. Mable.  Her husband worked on the D.R.G. Railroad.  God bless her. 

                June 22nd--I rented a house of Martin Bench two blocks from Caroline's for 50 cents per month.  I went to the temple and took endowments for the dead until it closed on the 18th of July.  August 10th--On Sunday, I spoke in the German meeting, subject mostly the Indians.  I was highly favored with the good spirit and the President said he would rather hear me than go to a conference.  I feel very thankful to God for the assistance of his Holy Spirit.  Nothing of importance happened only I was blessed with some work and earned a little for my support.  I had my hair cut for the first time in Sanpete by a most ponderous man, large and heavy enough to twist a four-year old bull around in any position.  August 26th--The Temple opened again and I took endowments for three persons.  God grant that I may see them in the Kingdom of God if they are as willing to do their part as I am to do mine. 

                September 1st--I worked a day and one half on an old lounge and earned $3.50 in merchandise.  September 2nd--I went through the temple for Hilhelm Hastrup.  September 4th--I officiated in the temple for Wibe (?) Hastrup and Hilhelm.  I was laid up with a very severe looseness of the bowels until the ninth.  Caroline N. Snow and I sold a piece of her city lot 6 1/2 rods by 6 1/2 rods @ $150..00.  She had first given it to me, but I had delayed getting the deed for it so we made the transfer direct from her to Brother Jens C.A. Weiberg.  Caroline got $50.00.  I got $100.00 by initial agreement.  God bless her.  She is a good old sister.  September 9th--Closed up my things so as to be ready for the Scandinavian Jubilee in Ephraim.  I left Manti the 14th. 

                14 June, 1891, Mapleton, Utah County.  As my journal was left in Manti, I have not recorded anything after leaving Ephraim.  Hence, I now go back to the 19th of September, 1890--I arrived in Springville with very sore eyes.  I went up to Mapleton where the mother of my children lives on ten acres of land with my two sons and a daughter, Viola.  I gave the boys a good saddle, bridle, Navajo blanket and $7.00 in cash.  I left for Salt Lake after having a good conversation with a Brother Evans. 

                October 1st--I made whip lashes and sold them, papered a room and sundry other things of general repair in preparation for the marriage of  THea's adopted daughter, Edith was married 19 November in the Logan Temple.  In looking over this book, I see that it mentioned that my daughter, Delia was married to Hyrum Harris of Provo 9 April, 1890 in Manti Temple.  Edith's husband's name is Tom Mulholland, an Irishman.  Thea went to Manti to stop at my sister's house and go in the temple for the dead.  I remained and boarded with my son-in-law all-winter and spring until Thea came back.  Then I left for Mapleton after having worked at Platt Co., 149 State Road about two months not earning $1.00 per day.   

                1 January, 1891--Stopping at my son-in-laws in Thea's house was very unpleasant for me. 
                May 11th, 1891--In coming to Mapleton, I found my daughter, Delia had been sick about two months and past through a fearful ordeal on account of the inexperience of the mid-wife.  A great deal had been done by bad management of various persons.  Delia stopped at the house in Mapleton and left the 18th for Provo City with her mother.  May 18th--Christiana was called to Lehi to attend Doris, a daughter of mine, laying at the point of Death.  Herman and I stopped on the little farm.  A week after I went  over to Provo, and on the 6th of June took Delia up on the bench to Nielsen's Pleasure Resort or Garden, but she did not get much benefit therefrom.  On the 7th I got a Sister Sorensen, a graduate from Copenhagen, a woman set apart by the authorities of the Church to give information to the sisters in classes on midwifery.  She examined Delia and gave hope for good and we will carry out her instructions and may God add his blessings is the prayer of her father. 

                June 16th--When I left Mapleton, I went to Provo, saw Dan Weggeland and went over to Utah Lake to the Holmstead in his large sailboat, stopped with him until July.  I had a ride to Lehi and got sick.  July 1st--I left for Salt Lake City and went to work in Platt's shop.  Nothing of importance happened.  October 2nd--My sister Caroline came and stopped with us.  I made a four-horse whip for the fair and got the prize, $3.00.  I kept on working until December 18th.  I brought buckskin with me for Gideon to work up into whip lashes and started him out so he could make good lashes alone.  It has been snowing for three days and looks like it could keep up a week longer.  I was pleased to see the addition Gideon had put up on the north side of the house.  He had done it all with the help of his brother, Herman.  He had been his own mason, carpenter, plasterer, and all, and had done it very well considering he had never learned or helped any other mechanic of that kind.  I made the boys a present of good a bridge loading double-barreled shotgun.  I gave Christiana a heavy pair of blankets and a dress for Viola.  The boys also made good stables for the animals and other improvements.  God bless them in their efforts. 

                29th May, 1892--I came here on the 14th, brought with me some material for a set of work harnesses and a bureau for the house.  Since last I was here, I worked for the Platt Company, and nothing of importance has taken place, except in April I went up to an Indian settlement in Malad and had a very interesting time.  I stopped at the Bishop's.  His wife was a most kind and hospital woman.  I attended their Sunday School and meeting at 2 P.M.  I saw more advancement among them than anywhere else in my limited experience and may God bless the Indians and all that are striving to promote their welfare is my earnest desire and prayer.  I find everything here on the little farm in as good a condition as could be expected.  I have finished the harness and will try to help them all I can and that is not much as I have no income except my labors and that decreases every year.   

                June 1st--I bought a new wagon for the boys, paid $17.00 in cash.  I sold my harness to my old friend,  S.S. Jones of Provo for $40.00.  I left for Salt Lake City having done very little all summer.  August 15th--I went to Pelican Point and bought a 350 pound onyx stone.  I paid a pare of $4.00 lines for it and expected to do something great with it, but could not get it sawed.  October 7th--After conference I got ready to go back to Mapleton where I was in the summer.  Mapleton is on the Springville Bench where Christiana, my wife, and two boys, and Viola live on a small ten acre farm.  October 12th--I arrived at Mapleton with some more material for a team harness.  I finished it and sold it to Hans Poulsen in Provo City.  I worked along and did a great many things indoors and bought little things needed in the family.  I bought $25.00 in lumber for a small shop I intended to put up on the farm.  (pages of the year 1893 are missing)

                August 20th, 1893--I left for Lehi.  When I came there my daughter, Dorthea Alice (Doris) who had married Captain Hart died after having suffered for about two and a half years.  God be praised and thanked forever that he in He in His great mercy permitted her to leave this wicked world.  It is my greatest desire that he would soon let me go, for I am so tired of this life.  having never liked it, having seen a better one. 
August 25th--Dorthea Alice Hart was buried on 25th August, 1893 in The American Fork graveyard.  In the evening of that day, I went over to Holmstead's at Pelican Point and stopped there for a week returning to Salt Lake City feeling very weak and downhearted being plagued with sore eyes which I have every year at this time.    I have come to this conclusion that this is the manner I would like to be buried.  Namely, I positively do not want to be buried in an imported coffin.  It would also please me to have a cabinet maker or carpenter in full faith of the Gospel of Jesus Christ proclaimed by the Prophet Joseph Smith, make me a coffin of Utah lumber and put on some strong handles that will not break while carrying the corpse.  Please let the coffin be painted a mild green,  not to light.  Then I do not want a hearse of any kind what ever, but please hire a new farm wagon, put some straw in the bottom and place the coffin in it.  If I die in Salt Lake City, let me be buried on the lot where Frederick Gadd is buried.  If I die in Manti City, let me be buried in the Manti grave lot.  I pray that the blessings of God  will attend those of my relatives or friends that will perform this, my last desire and will.  I think it would be proper that this will should be read at the funeral.  Please, let my epitaph be the quotation from First Epistle of John, Chapter !, verse 8,  "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."  

                September 13th--The month of September went without anything of note.  October 9th--The main thing of note in the conference was the announcement of President Wilford Woodruff that the set time to favor Zion had come.  October 15th--I commenced to work in F. Platt's Shop, made a harness for coal and many there after.  I made some quirts and sold one to Co-op. Institution.  It is very slow work and I get very little for it.  It appears to me that I have not earned ten cents a day since the harness was finished.  Of course I did not work anything like full time.  Still it gave me some satisfaction and I acknowledge the hand of the Lord.  December 17th--I took sick, one of my odd spells came on.  I counseled with Dr. Andersen.  He gave me a pint of bromide.  I have followed his direction.  With the help of Thea, I have recovered but not strength.  Hope God will help me that I may hold fast to the Iron Rod and eventually overcome and be able to enter His Holy Kingdom which may God grant for Christ's sake, Amen. 

                1st January, 1894--I have gradually improved and was doing some baptisms for M.D. Andersen, but he did not have his list of names ready.  January 16th--I was baptized for twenty of M.D. Andersen's relatives and old friends.  I volunteered to do it for him and also gave him a valuable steel engraving of Christian the IV, King of Denmark for his services to me.  I have nothing else to give having not made half a living this past year of 1893.  I know of nothing else of note.  March 31st--Angus M. Cannon ordained me to a High Priest, a very fine day.   Captain Hart, Dorthea's husband, died March 30th.  I was informed by letter of his funeral in Lehi tomorrow, April 1st, but I cannot attend for want of money.  The gold buyers do not want silver, for then they cannot control the money market.  May 20th--I started on a trip to Holmstead west of Utah Lake and returned on May 31st.  July 22nd--President Heber C. Kimball came to me in a dream.  He had a very bright sword.  The blade was about two and one-half inches wide, length ordinary.  It was new and bright and the inscription on it about 18 inches long.  I attempted to read it but could not.  Brother Kimball went through various motions of sword exercise and finally made a straight thrust at me as if he would stab me in the abdomen, but not to hurt me and then parted or leave me, and laughed as heartily as he always did. 

                November 9th--I have always had to fight to keep the Word of Wisdom.  Coffee smells good and beer tastes good.  I have been used to them from early childhood.  The smell of a person smoking a cigar is disgusting to me, but I do use coffee and beer.  I can say with Paul,  "The will to do and keep the teachings of the Spirit I have, but the power to do it I have not." 

                19 February, 1895--In the evening the question came up,  "Do the dead learn easier in the spirit world than here?'  Yes, they may but there are many that cannot understand the principals of teaching as well as those in the body.  I saw in a dream this night Orson Pratt standing before an audience trying to explain the rays of the sun, but they could not understand him.  He turned to me and said,  "You, Brother Twede, understand it, do you not?"   I said,  "Yes, I do."  Brother Pratt looked very fine, just as natural as ever and had on a new suit.  February 22th--Thora Hafen had a son this day, 7 A.M.  She is well.  God bless her and the little Washington.  March26th--I paid $4.50 in tithing.  April 27th--I left for Lehi and stopped at my daughter's houseuntil May 1st.  Almost constant rain. 

                May 1st--I had a conversation with a number of the bretheren.  I though I did some good.  Read Coin's Financial School, a good book on money matters showing the corruption of the millions in Europe and U.S.   May 6th--I left for the Holmstead Ranch by Brother Wing's four horse team.  I got there in one hour and thirty minutes.  There was a great excitement on account of a murder of three men that been committed about two and one-half mile from the point.  None of the people living there seemed to know anything about who had committed the murder.  The wind blew very hard for thirty-six hours from the north.  I walked over to the cabin where the murder had bee committed, but I could see nothing but a piece knocked out of the rafter.  May 11th--I returned to Lehi.  May 2nd--I took the train to Provo.  Chris Bandly took me up to J.C. Nielsen's.  I was well received.  I trimmed his old buggy and left Monday the 20th for Provo City.  I went up to the Asylum to see Charles Austin and D. Muier.  Austin was well but Muier is very bad. 

                May 20thI visited Doctor Hanberg in his very elegant and peculiar house.  I stopped the night with Matilde Nielsen.  J.C. Nielsen (husband of Elda, daughter of Mary Halvorsen and Jens Peterson)from the Bench took me in a buggy up to Mapleton where my sons and their mother lives.  I found them all right, improving the property and buying more land.  I left on the 23rd with Christian Boel for Provo.  May 26th--I arrived in Salt Lake City.   Thea my wife,  looked bad having had foreboding as to my health.  I commenced to make whip lashes right  along.  June 12th-- It is my 67th birthday.  June 13th--I was invited to attend the closing exercises of the Women's School taught by Sister Sorensen.  It was a great thing in embryo.  A few men were present, Lorenzo Snow, Joseph F. Smith, John Taylor, Francis M. Lyman and a few more.  It was held in the old Assembly Hall on State Street.  A great deal of the spirit of God was there.  It gave me pleasure to see and hear my daughter's Thora and Delia take part in the exercises.   

                July 12th--Nothing of importance has transpired the past month  I have been making common whip lashes and paid $5.15 in tithing merchandise.  July 25th--I covered a writing desk for Doctor Andersen and was invited to take dinner with him.  We had bass fish.  I will now be ready to assist him in the temple for his dead friends.  On July 31st, August 1st and 2nd I took endowments for Dr. Andersen.  August 4th--I kept complete fast from Saturday 7 P.M. to Sunday 6 P.M.   I am in constant prayer for my sister Thora in Manti that the Lord will permit her to part this life.  August 7th--I continue to take endowments for Dr. Andersen's friends and relatives, 15 in all ending August 13th.  November 11th--I handed $150.00 in gold to Louis Hook.  He gave me his note payable in six months with ten percent interest per year and may the Lord bless him in using it.  November 19th--I borrowed John Hafen's buggy and invited John Larsen, my old friend to go up into Cottonwood Canyon to see the work as it is progressing preparatory for generating electricity by water power.  It was a lovely day and we came back in good time all right. 

                November 26th-- I was baptized for a number of Dr. Andersen's friends and also for Adolf Montague, my sister Johanne's husband in France and took endowments for him the day after.  December 4th--I left for home to one of my sons on the Springville Bench called Mapleton.  I stopped in Lehi to see my daughter's child.  Left by next train, stopped in Provo one night.  Spoke in First Ward Fast Meeting, took dinner at Nielsen's the watch maker.  Left for Mapleton, had a fearful ride from the railroad station in a cart.  I was well received at their home.  Made some whip lashes and did them all the good I could.   Left Saturday the 28th of December.  Attended a party in the Provo Theater, took Sister Silk and her daughter with me.  It was very fine good musical, good supper.  Slept at Bishop Johnson's.

                December 29th--I wrote Charles Austin who is in the Asylum in Provo.  The tenor of the letter was to get him roused up to work.  He is by nature very much opposed to work of all kinds.  I also sent a letter to Caroline with some sleeping powder for her sister Thora.  

                6 January, 1896--There was a great celebration of the Inauguration of Utah as a state of the union.  During the month I have been sitting for a bust oil painting, life size by john Hafen, and he has made a very good one.  Nothing of importance in the remainder of the month.  February 9th--I made a solar system of paper and cloth for Dr. Andersen to his satisfaction.  February 25th--In the morning I had an extra ordinary attack of colic or cramps in the bowels, a thing I have never had before.  I tried several things but to no purpose.  I then sent for William Muer.  He administered to me, but it took a day and one- half before I got well.  February 28th--Now I am as I was before, but I ask for what use do I live?  It is hard to make a living for I cannot get anything to do that I can do.  But when my time comes, I will go.  I have never liked this life and have been near death many times, but have been rescued.  Nothing of importance transpired in March.  I have not been very well.  One night I dreamed that I visited A.O. Smoot in a great family gathering in the Spirit World.  He, Smoot, came and shook hands with me. 

                April 4th-- Not well.  April 5th--A little better.  Joseph Broadbent of Lehi went on a mission to Europe.  April 16th--I had to come home from conference, there was The Manifesto on the discipline in the Church.  It has given a great deal of talk among the people.  May 1st--This month from first to last has been the most peculiar I have seen since 1855.  Rain and snow nearly al the time.  May 24th--I left for my Spring trip.  Stopped at J.C. Nielsen's in Provo Bench.  I got and order from Deal Brothers and Mendenhall for whip lashes.  I filled the order at his place.  I gave his wife $1.50 for pin money.  June 10th--I left for Mapleton, arrived at the home 3.30 P.M.  Christiana was in Manti to get Viola married to William Allan.  They were married on the 10th in the Manti Temple.  June 20th--Left for Provo, stopped at Berg's.  Visited Paulsen, the machinist, he had never had any belief in the divinity of the Book of Mormon nor in Joseph Smith as a profit of God.  He simply liked to live among the Mormon people.  Although he had been here since 1870, still he had never inquired into the principles of the Church.  He likes me and treats me like a brother. 

                June 21st--I left Battle Creek and sold a few whip lashes, stopped at Christiansen's left for American Fork, sold some lashes, was kindly received by James Gardner, stopped at his place.  June 23rd--Left for Lehi, stopped at Amanda's (Broadbent), left for Salt Lake City, arrived there the 23rd.  July 4th--Three days of carnival, a great display.  July 18th--Went to a ratification meeting in the theater.  The spirit of enthusiasm ran very high and I partook of it to an alarming extent, to much for me.  I proposed to John Hafen to make a lithograph of William Jennings Bryan.  I signed an agreement for 5,000 for the sum of $88.00.  The first were a failure, the worst is, I paid down $40.00 on the 13th of the month.  I had great expectations and ran about and wrote letters, all to no purpose.  I could not agree with Hafen, and finally gave it all in his hands to do as he liked.  August 1st--I had a dream about pure clear oil flowing from a tap.  I filled my measure to overflowing.  May I have oil in my lamp at the coming of Christ.  

                August 5th--I went up to Fort Douglas and distributed all the little publications of Church and Farm and for two days more of the W.J. Bryan lithographs.  September 15th--I made ready to go to Mapleton in order to build that long thought about house.  Gideon had laid the foundation.  I bought $50.00 worth of lumber of Smoot in Provo, hired a Provo carpenter, paid him $6.50, also a plasterer, $10.00 for him.  I did a great deal of work myself.  I bought $3.00 worth of stove pipe and now finally I am writing this in my new little house where I work and sleep and cook some little food.  December 23rd--Nothing of importance happened since October.  Tomorrow I leave for Salt Lake City. 

                4th January, 1897--I obtained some buckskin and went back to Mapleton.  January 20th--In the middle of the month Gideon was notified to take a mission the Eastern States and is getting ready.  Herman is getting ready to be married.  Herman and Gideon were re-baptized on the 7th of February.  Herman was married to Elise Jensen (Mary Eliza Jensen) in the Salt Lake Temple 10 Feb., 1897.  We had a celebration here in Mapleton.  My daughter, Delia came here to the feast.  February 20th--Gideon left Salt Lake City on the 20th.  He was appointed to Scranton, Pennsylvania.  March 5th--I had a letter today from Gideon and another on the 22nd of March.  April 8th--I sent $5.00 to Gideon from Dorthea Gadd.  I spent conference in Salt Lake City.  Took a cold, had jaw ache, nose bled fearfully, but got over it in a day.  I had an understanding with G. Lord about some lamp bracket I was to sell, but I think I am not strong enough, it being work to go from house to house and sell. 

                April 16th--Dull times.  Finished a single harness.  April 8thI am now ready to leave for summer travel.  This morning I intend to go to Tintic and see Delia.  O, Lord, bless me on this trip with thy Holy Spirit.  April 29th--I went to Provo, bought some lamp brackets of Simon Egerer.  Went to Mamoth, stopped at Delia's, sold a few.  May 2nd--Left for Lehi, found Amanda all right, sold my whips to Lehi Co-op., sold some lamp brackets.  Visited James Gardner in American Fork, sold some whips, took an order for two dozen whip lashes.  Left for Manti, arrived May 7th.  I found Caroline all right.  She did my cooking.  I bought some buckskin, made some whip lashes, sold some.  Went to conference, heard some lovely singing, page 235,  "Yea Who Are Called".  

                May 19th--Left for Gunnison, Stopped at Bishop Madsen's.   He had just come home and was sick.  It was rather a cold reception.  Food of the poorest, but I stood it as best I could.  He had a German Woman in the house who had fled from American Fork.  She claimed to be a lady of rank, a countess.  She said her husband wanted to kill her.  Well, the Bishop got all right before I left and took me out buggy riding.  May 22nd--I left for Richfield, stopped at the Metropolitan Hotel.  Conference was at Monroe.  I attended Sunday School, preached at 3 o'clock.  I gave good satisfaction.  I paid a visit to a Methodist minister by the name of, Twede, a Norwegian.  We could not agree on doctrine.  He was very much opposed to dancing and thought we ought to stop it. 

                May 24th--I left Sunday for Glenwood, visiting there in their day school.  I was highly delighted with the class in fractions.  I found my sister, Liza all right.  May 26th--Left for Burrville.  Stopped at Henry Burr's.  The pleasure of staying there was not much, but the experience and many contrast was of some value.  May 28th--In the evening I had a conversation with a brother on the divinity of Christ.  It seemed to give him new light.  He could not comprehend the "light".   No one can except by the power of the Holy Ghost. 

                May 29th-- Sunday I rode over to Koosherem with Brother Clark, counselor to Segmiller, president of Sevier Stake.  I went to Sunday School.  I preached at 2.00 P.M. on faith.  I stopped at Brother Christofferson's.  He told me how to tell silk from counterfeit.  I gave him information as regards to paper money.  He had a great deal of knowledge of horses.  May 31st--I left for Burrville.  Apostle Lyman and Jonathon Golden Kimball, one of the seven presidents of seventies, spoke.  Next I went over to Koosharem. 

                June 1st-- I left for Salt Lake City.  Apostle Grant was sick.  I went with the mail man to Sigurd railway station.  Arrived in Mapleton and found everything all right.  Went to cleaning and fixing my room as usual.  September 2nd--I have been and will be making lashes until conference.   (pages 137 to 149 of look as if they were cut from the journal.  There is no more of his history recorded.  It was some ten years later that C.F.N. Twede died, so much information is missing.) 

                Christian Frederick was a part of Daniel Wells Utah Army, the one that was mobilized to resist Johnston's Army.  He also belonged to the Nauvoo Legion.  He was one of those who left the Valley to do what he could to stop the advancing U.S. Army, to spy on them, to learn their intentions and harass the troops and supplies when they could.  They let Johnston see a small detachment of men over and over again so that he would believe the Mormons had thousands of troops.  A journey that usually took three or four months took the army two years. 

He was sent on a mission to the Indians on 10 September 1855 by Brigham Young and on 20 April 1889 by Wilford Woodruff. 

                His original journal is in the possession of the Mormon Church we have only the translated copies on hand.  They felt it was important because of his many dreams and spiritual manifestations. 

                His portrait drawn by his son-in-law, John Hafen was shown at the fourth annual Society of Utah Artists in 1897.  The portrait was loaned for a latter showing but was never returned and is presumed lost. 
Eugene Halverson     
His sister, Caroline Marie Nielsen (5 June, 1816)  married Gardner Snow on 3 july 1855.  They lived in Manti and had no children.   At the age of 88 she died of injuries when thrown from a buggy when the horse ran away.  Died 30 October 1903.  I have collected her life story.

His sister Thora Henriette Nielsen was born 9 November, 1822.  She was also married to Gardner Snow but at some time was married to, John C. Wyhee (or C.R. Weibee?) who lived in Manti?  Thora died 1 May 1896.  She had no children from Snow.

 Eliza Nielsen Twede Bruhn Beal
Eliza Nielsen was born 15 July, 1820 in Garisons, Copenhagen, Denmark.  When she was 17 years old she married Fredrick Hendrik Bruhn.  They had five children, Victoria born about 1840, Mary Netty 6 July 1842 and died the same year, Evald Hendric 6 Aug 1843, Adam Herman 25 Nov 1845, and Eddie (Edward) 1847.  It was not a happy marriage Bruhn often beat her in Copenhagen, she was 33 years old when she came to Utah in 1853 with her four children.  Eliza heard the Gospel preached by the missionaries and escaped her unhappy home in Copenhagen.  
William Beal’s wife Clarissa Allen was suffering from the birth of twins in 1851 who died soon after birth.  They were also gathering their possessions for the next emigrant train to Utah.  They were being persecuted by the mobs.  Just before she died she told them to go and insisted that they stay together as a family. 
Clarissa Amanda, Oscar Sheldon, Lyman Franklin, John Alma, Harriet Salvina, Emily Almira, Eunice Amy, Francis L., Nancy Jane, and one year old, William Francis who died and buried on the Plains.  
Harriet writes the William Beal story.  Carissa now in her twenties is never mentioned in her story and maybe married.   Harriet was now the oldest daughter and had the responsibility of running the house which was fine with all accept Emily.  The girls constantly quarreled.  Much of Harriet’s story is about her “dreams” about her mother and the mobs. 
Eliza met and married William Beal 16 Jan 1854 in Salt Lake City, Utah who was widowed in 1851 with nine children of his own.  Harriet said her father and mother, Eliza loved each other although she spoke no English and he could not speak Danish.  
The children said, “We gladly accepted her as mother, Father was always kind and gentle with her."  They lived in Glenwood.  Eliza had four children with this marriage,
LeRoy Delos,
Eliza Amelia 28 Oct 1924,
Julia Caroline 30 Mar 1858,
William 30 Jun 1861.
  All the Eliza’s children were born in Manti.  They were forced to leave Glenwood because of the Blackhawk Indian War. Eliza died 5 April, 1899 and both Eliza and William Beal were buried in Glenwood.

Her daughter’s married two sons of Charles Clark and Sarah Sloat Burr. 
Eliza Amelia Beal married George A. Burr 3 June 1871 and moved to Grass Valley and settled Burrville.  They reared a family of twelve children.  Sarah E., George M., Thora A., David, Kate, Ella May, Elias, Laura, Mary A., Myrtle, Zola.  She died 31 Oct 1924 in Emery, Emery County, Utah
Julia Caroline Beal married Henry Uriah Burr 17August 1873 in Payson, Utah, died in Provo, Utah on 8 September 1959 and buried in Payson


  1. Cool.

    I believe the Elizabeth Ann Jensen is my 3rd great grandmother! The property he left her has the historic Frederick A. E. Meyer house ( ) on it.

  2. I put a name on the picture, Thank you

  3. Are You related to the Burrs? I saw their picture. Email me at or leave a comment on my blog:

    1. My great grandfather was Peter Boel. His sister was Christiana Peterson Twede. My father, Harvey Halverson was born the same year she died. I call her Aunt Christiana just like my grandma, Mary Peterson Halverson did. We knew the Twedes, Hafens, Bairds, Allans, Jensens. As I studied genealogy and all the stories, I found Eliza Nielsen Twede Beal’s children. I just posted their story on the bottom “C.F.N. Twede’s” story today. I knew why Twede spent so much time in Burrville, and even Fish Lake.
      I call Aunt Chrisiana a “Big Cousin” aunt while the Burrs are “Small Cousins”. I am very interested in all of them. I post stories to share what I have. I would like to know what you have to share.
      Eugene Halverson

  4. Does anyone know where the property is or the address for the Twede farm is located in Mapleton? I am a great great granddaughter of C.F.N. and Christiana Twede.

  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.