Friday, July 8, 2011





            Dorthea Cecelia Hastrup, daughter of Jens Fredrick and Cecelia Leth Hastrup was born in Ringsted, Denmark, February 11,1823. She was one of eleven sons and three daughters.  Her father was wealthy, aristocratic man owning large tracts of land in Denmark and Sweden. Into this family the gospel message came and Torte and her sisters, Mary and one other her name is unknown, responded. The girls , much against the wishes of their parents set sail for America. While at sea one of the girls died.  Arriving in the states the remaining two hurriedly made preparations for the trek across the plains and arrived in the Valley in 1856.

            Dorthea's first husband was Mr.Gadd who died a few years after their marriage. She then married Christian Fredrick N. Twede, my father on September 12, 1863.  I remember her as a small, trim little woman with black hair and lovely clear blue eyes, a high forehead, well shaped nose and a firm chin.  Our own mother's life would not be complete without a tribute of love and respect to our other mother, Aunt Thea (Tayah), as we called her.

            Aunt Thea had no children of her own so she adopted a little girl, It was a great disappointment to her when it became increasingly evident that Annie lacked the capacity to learn. Nevertheless she was well taken care of and did learn to help with the household tasks. One day while looking in a home for another child to adopt she particularly noticed an unkept child whose unhappy expression and big blue eyes tugged at her heartstrings. She decided to take her as soon with proper care the child developed into a sweet, golden-haired little girl, who was a constant joy to her foster mother with her bright, cheerful ways and quick intelligence. Aunt Thea named her Edith Lillian.

            My sister Thora also lived with her and worked for George E. Anderson in his photograph gallery.  It was while working there she met and married the artist, John Hafen.  Aunt Thea gave them a reception in her lovely garden and it was here that they welcomed their friends after their marriage in the Endowment house. John and Thora loved and appreciated her so much. She, in turn, thought a great deal of them and did all she could to help them in their struggle to get along and rear a family. At one time John Hafen made a painting of her pet dog Rover, which hung in the Springville Art gallery for many years.

            When I was eight years old I went to Salt Lake City Utah.  Edith and I were near the same age, she being six months older than I.  We became good friends and she begged my mother to let me come and live with them. Mother, father and auntie talked things over and let me go.  So when we went home mother fixed my clothes and made me a little quilt and John Hafen took me on the train back to Salt Lake.

            What an event that was-- my first ride on a train! Edith was so happy when I came. She was fair I had black hair and brown eyes. Aunt Thea dressed us well--Edith in blue and me in maroon.  People often called us twins which, course, made a great name for us.  We would have to get up early in the morning to get sweeping, dusting and dishes done, our hair combed and braided, and have all in readiness for school.

            Aunt Thea was among the first school teachers in the Valley.  She had a nice state's carpet in the front room which was covered with a canvas during school hours.  She taught from twelve to eighteen girls and sometimes two boys, brothers of two of the girls.  On Fridays she would teach us to knit and sew.  She bought a little motto "What is home without a mother" which I embroidered and gave to my mother.  Then, after school was over on Fridays, the canvas was taken up and the house was cleaned. Everything was put in order for Sunday. In the evenings Auntie and Father took turns reading aloud. Sometimes she managed to let us go to the Salt Lake Theater where we saw many good plays and famous stars.

            One of Auntie's old country friends, a Mrs. Wilkins, died leaving two children one of whom was brought to Thea's home. My sister, Amanda also made her home there for sometime; so there were six of who called Aunt Thea's house "home" at different times. I often think what a wonderful woman she was to take me in and treat me as her own. And it was the same with all of us, lovingly cared for at all times. I have to thank her for what little education I gained when I was young.

            Aunt Thea was a devout Latter-Day Saint, living her religion everyday of her life. She could have lived in ease and comfort but she chose a life of service. She died at her home in Salt Lake City in the year 1891 and was buried in the Salt Lake City cemetery.

Written by;
          Giddeon Twede
          Herman Twede
          Theora Hafen
          Viola Allen
          Delia Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment