Wednesday, July 13, 2011


George Peter Pectol
 compiled by Golda Pectol Busk
 was eleven years old and schooled under the tutorship of a very strict father in the ways of the spirit as well as physical tasks, he began to take his place in this community with his parents family.
This family left Manti in 1855 at a call from Brigham Young and moved to Heverville, Washington County, Utah. Remained there on the Church farm under direction of Joseph Horn for a period of about three years then they returned to Manti 1858. After Sarah's death he went back to Washington County in what was known as the BIG MOVE and settled in the town on Washington about six miles East of St. George. On the 21th of March 1861 he marred Mrs. Sarah Blazzard in Sanpete County; the ceremony was performed by Welcome Chapman. This wife, George Peter said proved to be a very "incompetent stepmother and divided and broke up the family. I, James and William, the only children left at home, had to leave. As children, hand in hand without even a bed or change of clothes, we, supporting each other set out to find a home for each of us." This was a very touching incident as told to my father by Grandpa George Peter, but is not detailed.
It is here that the recorded words by Ephraim P. Pectol begins.

"I George Peter Pectol, son of George Pectol and Sarah Reasor was born 25 Aug. 1841 in Clark County, Indiana.
After leaving home as stated above, we three boys went to the home of Robert H. Brown, a brother-in-law who married Eunice and stayed one week when we had to leave because they could not take care of us without pay and live otherwise. My brothers James and William returned to my father's home after council with the Bishop. I went to live with Solomon C. Case who married my sister Elizabeth. I was disturbed at the turn of events especially in the case of William because on the death bed of my mother she took my hand and asked my to take of him. He, of course, was the baby, and was rather sickly. After living with my sister for about a month I left for Glenwood, Sevier County 1863 to assist Robert Glenn, Isaac Sampson and a number of men who were called to survey the town on Glenwood.
This occupied at least two days after which we surveyed and staked out the land for fields in lots of 10 acres each. Lots were cast for city lots, as were the fields. Some received twenty acres, some ten each. this took several days. Some compensation was received for this service, not in cash but in land. I received a city lot of ten acres. An amusing incident follows: Surveyor Glenn said: 'Do you see that rabbit?', indicating its movements with his finger. "There is where the ditch will run to water this land'. There is where the ditch is to this day.
School kids in Fruita with Ellis Robinson
Immediately after this I began building a house or shanty on my city lot. With my other work this occupied about three months. I hauled scrub pine logs for this purpose with a small team of horses purchased while I was working with the town survey. My brother-in-law Solomon Case and family moved from Manti and lived in this house for about two years when I traded it and lot for another lot on which I made a dugout where Solomon moved. After this I worked for Wm. Shorts two seasons and bought a small adobe house and the city lot on which it stood paying him for it with my share of the crop raised. During these months of preparing and scheming to gather something around me for security, my thoughts were of Will, as we called him. I wanted, as soon as possible, to be able to have him with me in order to carry out my dying mother's request.
Purchase of this house built by a mason by trade, took place shortly after my marriage to Annina Conradina Peterson, a fourteen year old lovely little Danish girl who was my very ideal of womanhood. She was born 17 July 1850 in Copenhagen, Denmark, the daughter of James (Jens) Kanute Peterson (Big Pereson) and Helena Kristena Hansen (Wyne or Wine accepted in Denmark) who had moved to Glenwood two years previous. We were married Sept. 14, 1865 at the home of my wife's parents at which time we moved into our little adobe house and started married life together. I was 24 years old.
I had previously enlisted in Warren Snow's Company to make a trip to Rabbit Valley to subdue a band of Indian marauders. Before going it was thought best to get married. Accordingly we secured the services of Bishop James Warham and were married at the home of my wife's parents. The whole town turned out and celebration lasted far into the wee hours of the morning.
General Warren Snow on hearing next morning of this event released me from this expedition saying he did not want to take me from my wife for three years. The company went forward without me. About three days after, a messenger perhaps Joseph West, brought word that General Snow and Orson Taylor were wounded. I was detailed with others to bring them in, but my father-in-law prevented my by going himself in my stead.
The battle in which they were wounded, in which I would have been in, took place near the old site of the Thurber (Bicknell) at the narrows where the Fremont River breaks through between the Boulder and Thousand Lake Mountains. The wounded came in on the date we gave our wedding supper Sept. 18th. General Snow and all of his company partook of the wedding feast and drank of the wedding beer. We remained a few days after this before moving to ourselves.
Warren Snow had been gone home but a few days when a band of Indians made a raid on Glenwood. In this raid Merrit Stanley was shot but recovered shortly. Wyley Allred and Dr. Speed attended to him.
The following men took part in driving the Indians away: James Warham, Seth Warham, Wm. Shorts, Peter C. Peterson, Solomon C. Case, Joseph Wall, Henry Hendrickson, Frank Wall, Tom Goff, Isaac Allen, James K. Peterson, R. W. Glenn, Charley Ahorts, Peter Oldroyd, Wyley Allred, Dr. Speed, Niels Nielsen, Isaac Pierce, Edward Payne, George Powell, Andrew Heppler, George Peter Pectol, Fiddler anderson, Archie W. Buchanan, Archie Buck Buchanan, Peter Norfors, Thomas Bell, John Bell, James Killpack, Wm. Sampson, J. K. Polk Sampson, Abram Shaw, Bill Lawrenson, John Olsen and his father, Isaac Herrin, Joseph Herrin (these names must be Herring) Jim Killian, Gourd Potter, Andy Jukkuab and others. (there has been considerable space for other names never filled in).
In this fight an Indian raised his head above a rock. I shot at him. Sometime later we learned the bullet had penetrated his jaw. Sometime later I had cause to come face to face with this same Indian who recognized me, but did me no harm. In this encounter I was leading Merrit Stanley's horse away after one had been killed, a volley of shots was directed at me, the bullets falling all around me. I turned the horse loose, a gun was handed to me which resulted in the above statement. Merrit Stanley was wounded and taken to my house where he was cared for.
Chief Shena-Vagen killed Mary
The Indians were of the Black Hawk band. The Black Hawk war in Sanpete and Sevier counties was caused by, or the first depradation done in this War was the killing of Peter Ludvickson or Ludricksen in Manti, and driving off a bunch of his cattle. This happened in the very early spring of 1865. At this time Artemus Millet, Captain Seth Warham, Joseph Herring, Guard Potter, Jim Killian, Andy Killian, Elias Pearson, Carris or Currus Hill, and myself were detailed to see if the Indians had gone through to Grass Valley and to intercept them if possible. We went to the head of Grass Valley; Joseph Herring, and myself walked the entire distance across the valley to learn if possible the trail of the savages, if any. We found it impossible on account of the snow for them to have gone this way, as it was at least five feet deep and no tracks were seen. We camped on what it known as "Mahogany Ridge" for the night without a fire. This was one of the bitterest nights I have ever experienced. Return to Glenwood the next day.
Going back to the time Merrit Stanley was shot, I would like to record an amusing incident at that time. The Indians rounded the cattle and was driving them off North of Glenwood by way of Indian Creek. James K. Peterson, my father-in-law tried to intercept the drive but failed. He did not know he was behind the drive. At this moment an Indian took aim to shoot at him. He, in a dare devil mood, turned up spatting the seat of his pants toward the Indian. The Indian fired and then in turn, he turned up spatting his seat while Mr. Peterson fired at him. This was exchanged several times between these two would be enemies.
Mary Smith
Charley Shorts and I were sent as messengers to Salina. We started, accompanied by ten men at the Black Knowl. We proceeded and crossed the River at Sigurd, then known as Never Sweet, and before reaching the Dry Wash, we saw at least twenty Indians in the cedars west of us and another bunch at Rocky Ford who would have hemmed us in, but we turned and made our ways back to Glenwood. A number of men from Richfield and Glenwood finally carried the express to Salina.
Not long after this Jorgen Smith's daughter was killed on the dugway between Glenwood and Richfield. I was one of the first to give them assistance. A man and woman who were caring for the Smith girl were going to Glenwood to the store. At this point the Indians rushed them killing the girl and ox team. The other two managed in some way to elude capture at first, but were also killed, The bodies were horribly mutilated. (This Smith girl, Mary, was an Aunt to Claud Holt who married Leona Pectol, daughter of Ephriam P. Pectol). This event took place 21 March, 1867.   (soon the Smiths are related by marriage to Holts, Hickmans, Behunins, Pectols, Motts, and others) 

Jack Smith, Jorgen Smith, wife Mette, Jed Mott
Shortly after this tragedy the entire population of Glenwood along with other settlements were vacated for protection. (20 April 1867). The Glenwood people moved to Richfield where they remained for the summer. Mr. Millet would not leave his property for the Indians. he remained not being bothered nor did the Indians bother Glenwood while he was there alone.
Sometime during this summer the Indians made an attack on Monroe driving off the "Monroe Herd". Fourteen boys, ten from Glenwood and four from Richfield and Monroe were sent to bring back the cattle if possible. Big Peter from Monroe, Albert Lewis, Marion York and perhaps a Nielsen from Monroe were members of this company.
Jorgen's name on horn
We found the cattle abandoned, but pressed on toward Marysville for fear that this settlement was at that time under attack. This was undertaken after night. About 2:00 a.m. we passed the cattle. (Here the narrative is a little confusing. He doesn't record that the cattle were returned or that they returned heading back to Monroe or went on to Glenwood. There were Forts in both settlements and he does not indicate which Fort he refers to, however, I well copy it as written. I have concluded it was Glenwood from statements further in the narrative). Fifteen minuets later and almost at the gate of the Fort, the Indians opened fire on us. I was riding by the side of Albert Lewis and on our way he told me of his call to the Endowment house for marriage, but had not gone. He was in a mood of depression and low spirits saying to me that he would never make it back to his home. (This must be Glenwood he talks about). He was killed by my side at the first volley of shot almost instantly. Marion York was wounded. Feeling sure that Albert was killed my thought was to secure his gun which was over the saddle horn. Foolishly I gave chase following him (the horse) to the river crossing before it dawned on me to capture the horse which I could have done several times before. Thus, I rode three times past the danger zone apparently taking my life in my own hands.
On reaching the Fort, I was determined to see my friend Albert Lewis again. Thinking he might have been only stunned. I asked for volunteers to go with me, but General Potter was the only one to step out, doing so with an oath and a promise to go. We dressed the wounds of Marion York and also washed and examined big Peter’s wounds as he was sure he had been shot, but did not know where. No wounds were found.
The two of us then left to see Albert Lewis. A few minutes out we were overtaken by Captain Pearson who said he would court marshal us if we went on, so we turned back to the Fort. When morning came a wagon was sent to bring in his body. I was one of the details sent to do this. His body was taken care of.
We then followed the Indians who were driving the cattle over the mountain toward Grass Valley. At the head of the canyon we were but ten minutes behind them. A council was called. It was decided we were too few to attack so returned to Richfield with dead and wounded. Marion York died shortly after from his wound, but was married on his death bed to Emma Nielsen of Richfield. During the remainder of the summer we stayed in Richfield keeping guard over the settlement, but no Indians showed up. In the fall we returned to Glenwood, gathered what volunteer grain grew during the summer, dried it by a fire and whipped it over a door for threshing. In this ways we gathered two loads of wheat and hauled it to Manti and had it ground into flour.
Franklin Haws   Jack Smith
There were no Indian disturbances during that winter, however, on 15 April 1867, we again deserted the town of Glenwood moving to Manti. It seemed the Indians were determined we were not to remain in Glenwood for any length of time or at all for that matter, but our determination was as great as theirs. This place had good land and abundance of water which was what both Indians and Saints needed for survival. However, rather than have any more of our number killed or taken captive, we did vacate the town until a later date.
We camped at Willow Bend, now Aurora, Utah the first night. Here our first child, George James, was born in a wagon while the camp slept, 15 April 1867. What an experience for my sweet young wife who had so courageously and faithfully stayed by my side during the above harrowing experiences we encountered with the Indians. It was joy when we were together for I was not home with her very much during her first pregnancy. Her parents were wonderful to help us through these nightmarish experiences and great comfort to her during her pregnancy. She was a delight to all of us. (Lack of modern conveniences didn't seem to hurt Uncle George. He grew into a big strapping healthy man). The next morning 16 April a child was born to Mr. and Mrs. James Williams. The next day 17 April we went as far as Gunnison arriving at Manti on April 18th, where we lived at the Albert Smith's house during the summer. He gave us a small piece of ground on which we raised garden truck. During the summer we built a house for father Peterson and moved in with them in the fall.
It was here in this year 1867 that I enlisted in Daniel Henries Company for protection against Indians. I took my turn standing guard during the summer, and it was during this summer that Foutz and Vance were killed on Twelve Mile Creek east of Gunnison. I was one of the party sent to bring them in. Apparently this was the last of the trouble with the Indians in this section of the country and was the end of the Black Hawk War. I served from 1865 to 67 in this War. Peace treaty was signed in outdoors in a beautiful grove of trees situated between Burrville and Koosharem.
Much more could be said of this affair and possibly should, but years have passed and with them incidents that should have been recorded as I will end this part of my life's story and begin on another phase."
I interrupt the narrative here to insert a matter of importance.
Department of the Interior, Bureau of Pensions. Washington, D. C. July 27, 1917. "The claim of George P. Pectol late of Captain Artemus Millets Co., The pay for pension was received July 3, 1917, and has been numbered 14245. The claim will be considered when reached in its order, and the requirements, if any, duly communicated. The number of the claim, as given above, and the soldier's name and service should be indorsed on every paper relating thereto which may hereafter be filed in this Bureau. Very Respectfully, Signed G. M. Saltzgaberg, Commissioner". Through the act of March 4, 1917 he was duly registered as a Veteran of Indian Wars and received a small pension for such. He also received a metal presented to him by the State of Utah for his services. A Black Hawk War veteran marker has been placed on his grave at the Teasdale cemetery by the American Legion post in recognition of this service. Record of service in Indian War, in his own hand writing reads: "I enlisted about 1st of May 1865 in Glenwood Sevier County Utah. June 5th 1866, May 4th 1867 in Manti, Sanpete County, Utah in 1867". It appears there were two enlistment dates and discharge dates in Glenwood, and one in Manti.
Narrative continues: "I secured about two acres of land east of town, Manti, and five acres in the fields north of town. Just prior to this I went to our Bishop Andrew J. Moffet to rent a few bushels of wheat for planting and for flour. This he refused me and said he had no authority. I then asked for potatoes of which he had plenty. The wheat and potatoes were tithing. He had purchased the potatoes for himself and was feeding them to his calves. I became very angry and told him I would not pay any tithing again to him. This I should not have done, but my word was kept for he died shortly after, a year or two, on the street in some fit. (This light thrown on his character leads to believe he was "a man of his word!") His family had about all left him. Bishop Moffit made his own coffin, and one day Warren Snow called in his shop and seeing it hanging over head asked him why he had made it so far in advance. He replied: "I want everything dry and light so I can go through Hell a-flying, so I won't have to stop and see you."
In the spring of 1868 I left Manti with my family and returned to Dixie by way of Fillmore, Utah. I do not remember whether the team we used was mine or my brother Jim's (James), but my father met us at the foot of Black Ridge near Ash Creek, with an ox team. Two days later we arrived in Washington, Utah. Ten or twelve days were spent on the trip. My father and his wife, Sarah (2) had separated so we moved in with father. His wife occupied the old home on an adjoining lot. My brother James (Jim) had married Mariam Blazzard, a daughter of father's second wife. They had three children at this time, Effie May, James and Roy. Effie May died at age of two years. Shortly after we moved there James died of pneumonia. Mariam later married a man by the name of Steers. My brother William was at home with my father.
The next summer 26 July, 1869 my father walked from Washington to Toquerville and back, a distance of about 70 miles. On his return home he drank water from a cool spring known as Grapevine spring. This was the beginning of his last illness as it affected him immediately. Hi did some light work for awhile, but finally took to his bed and never recovered. He died Sept. 28, 1869 and is buried in the cemetery at Washington, Utah. His wife came and assisted in his illness which was very much appreciated.
As stated before, by request of my mother, after father's death Will lived with us. We stayed in Washington, Utah that winter where I worked at my cooker trade. Sarah Christena, our second child was born in Washington, Washington Co., Utah 22 Jan. 1869. Died Nov. 10, 1936.
Frank Haws at Boulder
Incident that strengthened my faith. Father Boggs took sick. Brigham Young was there. He said: "Do you want to go to meeting?'. Boggs said, 'Yes, if I could.' 'You may if you want to.' I was instructed to get a stick from a peach tree for a cane. Boggs got out of bed and walked to meeting. Was made well. George Ross was healed by my administration. I was called to administer to him. I called for Henry Herriman. He told me not to wait for him as I was needed. I found George Ross very ill and suffering out of his head. I administered to him. When Herriman arrived he was well and talking.
We moved to Springdale, cane (Kane) County. A short time after, Will came to us on horse back. While in Springdale, we were there for two years, our twins Francis and Franklin were born, but died a few minutes after birth on Oct. 15, 1870"........
The narrative ends at this point. With the encouragement and support my mother, Dorothy Hickman Pectol, gave me and the keen memory of Uncle Chris Pectol, who at this time is living in American Fork, Utah at the age of 89 years, and his daughter George Pectol Gibbons, I am trying to pick up the loose threads hoping to weave them into a colorful story of this proud man, my grandpa George Pectol.
Pectol Shields
Grandpa George again relates: "We moved from Springdale to Glenwood, Sevier County in the fall of 1871 where we made our home in an adobe house in the north west part of town. There on 2 Dec. 1871 my second son Frederick Christian was born. In the spring of 1872 we drew by lot ten acres of land and began farming at the same time working laying adobes, plastering, etc. (He was a proficient adobe maker and I have the old mold). I continued with this trade until the United Order was established in 1874 into which I entered.
On the 17 of April 1873 Lovina Loretta was born here. She died 24th day of Sept. 1874. May 16, 1875 another son Ephraim Portman Pectol was born to us. This was our 7th child in the ten years we had been married. (Ephraim's death came suddenly 8 Oct. 1947).


  1. I think the man holding the white horse is Joseph Smith Hickman. The Pectol Shields picture is Port and two of his daughters .Golda on the left and Devona on the right.

  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.