Wednesday, July 13, 2011


Julia Mott
by Golda Busk

born 17 December, 1805. Sullivan Co., Tenn. Died 28 Sept. 1869, Washington, Wash. Co., Utah.  Son to George Peter Pectol and Elizabeth Lydica or Lidicki or Ludeca
Compiled by Golda Pectol Busk, Elsinore, Utah. Great Granddaughter, 1969. Revised 26 Jan. 1987
George Pectol came to Utah arriving in the Sault (Salt) Lake Valley 6, September 1850 in an unorganized company (indications are it was with a Daniel H. Wells company. Nothing definite as of this date). On 20 September, he with his family arrived in Manti, Utah where he made his home. They were among the first settlers in that town and he did much to develop agriculture there.
He belonged to some orthodox church, possibly the Baptists. He was chorister of the church in the village where he lived. Upon arriving at Manti, they lived in a dug-out for a short while where they were bothered considerably by snakes. However, he was a good mason and built several homes in Manti. One rock home he finished in May 1851 was a two story home with a fire place. After 136 years, this home is still standing and is lived in. It has been remodeled some and is quite a modern home. On the front of the mantel is the original engraving, very legible, which reads May 1851. This fireplace is also being used.
On 13, February 1851 he was called to be Clerk of the Elders Quorum in Manti. April 3, 1851 he was elected Treasurer in the first city elections if Manti, in 1855 he was elected a city Counselor. He was the first City Clerk of Manti. On 30 April, 1851 he became a member of the first High Council there. Eleven others were called at the same time, but he does not list their names. One time a first prize was given to him for having the finest field of grain in Utah.
Julia Mott   Don Franklin Hickman
George Pectol's history begins with his birth on 17, Dec. 1805 in Aullivan County, Tenn., the son of George Peter Pectol and Elizabeth Ludeca (Lidiaky, Lydica or Lydica). The Pectol family moved from Tennessee to Floyd County, Indiana where he, George Pectol, met and married Sarah Reasor, who was born 8 April, 1810 in Shelby County, Ky. She was a daughter of Frederick Reasor and Sarah Kester Reasor. She had moved with her parents from Kentuckey to Floyd County, Indiana.
The marriage of George and Sarah was performed on 2 November 1828 in Greenville, Indiana by her father who was a hard-shell Baptist Minister.  From 1829 when their first child, Dorothy, was born they lived in Floyd and Clark Counties, Indiana, until 1841 when George Peter was born, after which they moved to Madison County, Mo. Sometimes during these years he owned and operated a small store. Here in Madison County he owned and operated another store. Through contacts in his business, he secured a Book of Mormon and became interested in Mormonism. His primary reason for coming to Utah was his membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He had a strong testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel and was faithful to his convictions until the time of his death.

The following is condensed from an original diary an biography written in his own handwriting, his own words and spelling. Some of the spelling I will use as he spelled it, as well as his usage of words which should make it more interesting as it is read. It is a most remarkable account of him and his family's activities a short while before and after his conversion to Mormonism, up to the time of his death. A number of pages are missing at the beginning of his story, as well as a number throughout the entire biography, which seem to have been cut out or torn out for some reason. An interesting fact pertaining to this diary is that it has been recorded along with an old store ledger and account book of his. The bookkeeping is just something "we read about" today and the varied merchandise he sold along with its cost is legendary. It is typically old time "cracker barrel" country store type. (Copy is at the Brigham Young University and the L.D.S. Church Library in Salt Lake City). This Ledger-Diary is full of recorded testimonies as to the truthfulness of the Gospel, and are outstanding faith permoting discourses. He was a deeply religious man and had left some strong admonitions for his children to follow. He wanted, so much, for his family to sense the deep love and testimony he had of this Church, that it seems he was forever telling them about the beauty of it and its rewards..
back--Leona, Florence, Fontella
Ephraim B., Dorothy, Golda, Port, Devna
The first date recorded at the top of the ledger page is 1838. It is hard to tell exactly when it did begin because, some of the first pages are so old and faded. However, the first readable entry is Mar. 31, 1838 through Nov., and continues with a definite date of January 1839. This 149 year old story surely must have been preserved for a special purpose. It has traveled over the miles from Madison Co., Mo., to Manti, St. George, Glenwood, Caineville, Grover, Teasdale and Torrey, Utah. this history was found, by my parents, in a trunk belonging to George Peter Pectol, my grandfather, George Pectol's son, at the time of George Peter's death 1929. He had faithfully preserved and kept this diary among his most cherished possessions, unknown to any of his family until that time. It has been guarded and cherished by our family as something more valuable than money, for through it we have learned to appreciate, more fully, our pioneer ancestors and the heritage they have left us. This precious history has been in my possession since my parents died and I have shared it with all those who have wanted to get information from it. I feel a great responsibility in having it left with me. Now, it is almost too brittle and worn to handle, but with the help of my Heavenly Father and the love I feel for my great grandfather, somehow, I will see that it is preserved for future reference for is posterity.

Golda Pectol Busk


No comments:

Post a Comment