Tuesday, July 12, 2011



Unknown Author

Jorgen Smith was born May 20, 1823 in Fasted, Haderslev Prussia (own record) during different wars this territory belonged to Germany and then to Denmark  It is said to belong to Germany at the time of his birth.  He stated this at times of his life.  Later it went at intervals from and to each country.

His father Christian Andreassen was born Feb. 25, 1781 at Stenderup Oster Lindet Haderslev Prussia.  His mother Maren Swan was born Jan 1, 1785 at Rurup Haderslev (Denmark?),  The brothers and sisters were Jan Finnut,, Andreas, Annis, Kirstine, Metts Iver, and Christian Andreassen.

Jorgen Smith married Christine Marie Birkidal who was born April 11, 1825 at Rodding, Ribi, Denmark on October 6, 1850.  They joined the LDS church and Jorgen filled a three-year mission in Germany.  He was also called to serve in a war between Denmark and Germany.

There were three children born to this union at this time.  Maren (Mary) Smidt, Christian and Bertel Birkidal.  It was at this time they decided to come to the United States.  Jorgen told how his mother cried and tore her hair because they were coming to live with the horrid Mormons.  This was the last time he ever saw his mother.

In the war between Denmark and Germany, he was drafted in Denmark and he must fight against his brother.  This brother was killed in the German war and Jorgen used to cry and feel so bad, always wondering if it could have been his bullet that killed him.

Jorgen Smith was injured in this war, 1848-1851.  His leg and foot were partially crippled the rest of his life although he was able to get around on it and later used a cane.  He received metals for bravery and a pension.

The family sailed on the Jesse Munn 3rd ship in 1856 and while crossing the Atlantic Ocean, one child, Bertel died and was buried in the ocean.  They came to America about 1856 or 57, settling in Burlington, Demoines, Iowa.  Later he moved to Ishap, Illinois, where he had a daughter born, Susane, and another, Mariah (?).
He came to Utah in a covered wagon with one horse and one cow.  He was sent to Fountain Green to help colonize.  It was there Jorgen (Jack) Smith, Christine Marie, Wilhelmine, Caroline and Joseph were born.  The family moved to Richfield in 1862.  He was previously married to Mette Marie Johannssen and some of these children were born in Fountain Green, others in Richfield.

He and older children helped haul the stone and material that built the Manti Temple.  While living in Richfield in 1867, a daughter May 6, was killed by the Indians near Glenwood, Utah.  She was shot in the arm and ran to the bottom of the hill where they shot her in the back, killing her.  A man and wife that the girl along were killed also with bows and arrow.  The people of Glenwood witnessed the awful tragedy and reported it to the soldiers.  The solders followed the Indians killing 18 of them and kept the rest away while the people from smaller towns could be protected by moving to Richfield in the fort.
Shenna-vegan (White Horse chief)

Jorgen Smith drove his oxen hitched to a covered wagon into the fort with his family and possessions, stretched a wagon cover for protection against rain and sun.  They stood guard all night and day and shot at Indians that started fires outside the fort door.
It was believed Chief Black Hawk led the raiders, but some say the cruel and daring White Horse was in command.  Jorgen risked going out to his wagon to secure provisions for those in camp.  Finally a treaty of peace was signed.

He had another wife, Wilhelmine Pederson, and for those wives he built two rooms with a shed roof in between, where they could do their washing, made potato starch and soap.

Christine gave birth to ten children but lost five of them.  Mette Marie gave birth to thirteen children.  Wilhelmine did not have children by Smith but had two of her own when he married her.  After the manifesto, Jorgen went to live with his second wife.  Mette Marie.  He was only allowed to live with one wife.  Christine became very ill  the later part of his life and was all alone even though Jorgen Smith provided for all of his wives.  She would sit at her spinning wheel and sing songs in Danish.  She spun her own yarn.  She did not go places without her knitting.  She died about 1901.

JULIA SMITH HICKMAN said;  The people who were with Mary when she was killed by the Indians were Mr. and Mrs. Jens Peter Peterson.  The date they were killed was March 21, 1867.  Grandfather Smith kept the Peterson child who was 18 months for a long time after the parents were killed.   The little girl later became Christine Christenson Larsen and lived at Koosharem and became the mother-in-law of Lewis Hatch who was the missionary to the Indians. 
Jack Smith  Jorgen & Mette  Jed Mott  Black Hawk Reunion

Grandfather Smith and August Nielson were appointed Captains for the Minute Men after the Indian uprising.  They were driven out of Richfield and ordered back to Fountain Green.  In 1871 they returned again to Richfield.  That is how Grandmother's children were born at Fountain Green then Richfield and back to Fountain Green.

Grandfather was later sent to Koosharem to help settle it and then to Notom.  He named it this because there was no town.  He had the post office at Notom.  he was a blacksmith, a druggist and made their family's shoes and it seemed like he could do so many things.


  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.