Tuesday, July 12, 2011

SMITH CHRISTINA COUGER DEE by LUTHER TAFT

A BRIEF HISTORY
of LIFE of
LUTHER DEE TAFT
by LUTHER DEE TAFT



I was born 3 April, 1890 at Thurber, Wayne County, Utah.  A son of Seth and Olive Lyman Taft.  I was baptized and became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 22 May, 1898 and received the priesthood at latter dates.  I am now a High Priest.  I worked on the farm with livestock when a boy.  My father died when I was 18.  I have only an eighth grade education.  I worked with the Stewart Brothers surveyors during the year 1909, they paid an extra wage but would not use anyone that used tobacco.  

I was married 13 June, 1911 to Artie Jane Smith.  She has been a good wife and mother.  We were blessed with seven healthy children, three boys and four girls.  They have always been loving and kind to us at all times and are honorable and respectable people.  We also had another boy in our family, Clifford Olson, who was a good boy and has grown to be an honorable man. 


I have worked on a number of jobs in a public way.  I was the Water Master for the Fremont Irrigation Company for two years, Wayne County Commissioner for three years and County Road Supervisor for sometime.  Started 7 June, 1923 to work for the US Biological Survey Predatory Animal Control work and was on this job except for short periods of time until 1 October, 1951.  During this time I caught over 4000 coyotes and 125 cougars.  That is where I got the name, "Cougar Dee".  I am now retired from this job on a small retirement of $68.00 per month which is supposed to come to me for the rest of my life.  I had many exciting experiences during this hunting job of thirty years. 

I was a member of the Sunday School Superintendency for a number of years and was also councilor to George C. Brinkerhoff when he was Bishop for several years.  I am now employed by the town of Bicknell and am enjoying good health..


LUTHER DEE TAFT

No comments:

Post a Comment